PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Xerox EXP 250 loosing itself

k_graham
09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Thursday - Sept 8 - started having trouble with RIP going off line. ,

sometimes see a sp.exe error, sometimes references a memory error and sometimes am told to restart Xerox 240

- restored a EXP 250 clone from a year ago, still have problem. Have previously used the clone to successfully fix issues. also tried a older clone with fewer security patches from 2 years ago.

Called 2nd level support they say install software -install requires pushing buttons on front of Fiery, I can't view small LCD Display on front of Fiery as a different Xerox tech cracked it 3 years ago changing the hard drive and couldn't get replacement, did bring wrong one then gave up. I do have a monitor attached to EXP250 Fiery.

I have scan disked hard drive - no errors found. I have ran a RAM memory check over night, no errors found. I reversed cable to Fiery thinking it might fix a bad connection - no help.

Any way to run the Fiery installation CD so Xerox tech can then say - that did not fix it and try something else. Xerox wants to wait until they find a display before doing anything else.

Ken

thistlegorm
09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Ken,

Pretty certain sp.exe is a virus - as to your SW load - if it is only the lcd display that isn't working ? but the buttons still do - when you load the system software disk ( disk 1 ) after the BIOS has run up it will start loading the linux kernel from the disk,a short while after that you normally get a Blue Java screen with the message "All Data Will Be Deleted" & a Yes / No Box - to initiate from the front of the Fiery you would press the top right button to "OK" the software should then start to load..

Is that the info your looking for..?

k_graham
09-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Ken,

Pretty certain sp.exe is a virus - as to your SW load - if it is only the lcd display that isn't working ? but the buttons still do - when you load the system software disk ( disk 1 ) after the BIOS has run up it will start loading the linux kernel from the disk,a short while after that you normally get a Blue Java screen with the message "All Data Will Be Deleted" & a Yes / No Box - to initiate from the front of the Fiery you would press the top right button to "OK" the software should then start to load..

Is that the info your looking for..?

SP.exe can be a virus but in this case it also happens to be a legitimate fiery file - Xerox 2nd level suggested this initially but after checking with Virus Checkers and another Xerox EXP250 had it and Xerox had it and Fiery confirmed it then they agreed it was not a virus but it cost me a day.

If I insert my Clonezilla.org boot disk Clonezilla boots and lets me replace the entire previously ghosted image of the hard drive.

When I use the install Disk Windows comes up as normal - it does not do as you say - I believe a button may have to be pressed during install or Xerox provided me with a defective install disk. Life would be so much easier if Xerox and EFI provided Clone disks including patches - after all the system is hard locked in ROM, their software would work with nothing else. Of course then they wouldn't need 1/2 their techs.

Ken

Nick_V
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
As an FYI, when we get a question about "is this file a Virus?" one of the first things we do is run it through https://www.virustotal.com/

Every once in a while, a Virus program will throw a false-positive. So it's good to compare results.

topprint
09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
We seem to have had something similiar happen to our three xerox machines yesterday / today. Command Workstation was just showing 'Exited' and couldn't reconnect to the attached machine, nor others on the network. I noticed that Avast antivirus loaded on the Fiery had moved a component of the Fiery s/w, ARE_3017.DLL to its virus chest when the machine was turned on this morning.

I had set about restoring it from the chest but in the meantime the Xerox engineer arrived and decided it was easier to reload from a clone disk and not to resintall Avast So I can't say definitiely but all now seems to be working OK.

Is is neceesary to have a/v installed on an Embedded Windows XP system?

thistlegorm
09-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Ken

If I insert my Clonezilla.org boot disk Clonezilla boots and lets me replace the entire previously ghosted image of the hard drive.

This would suggest that your DVD Drive is working..?

When I use the install Disk Windows comes up as normal

This isn't correct - if Windows is coming up then it isn't booting from the Disk - if it did you would see as I described.

Also I little confused because you need to have the LCD screen before software can be loaded yet you already have Monitor / Keyboard & Mouse - so why does the screen need to be repaired ??

You may well have a duff disk 1 - very unusual, plus as the EXP250 is getting on in life I am surprised that this hasn't been noticed before..?

Have you tried forcing the DVD drive as a boot option from BIOS - I think it's F2 or F10 - it flashes up pretty quickly..?

Life would be so much easier if Xerox and EFI provided Clone disks including patches

Why ? nobody else does, Creo, Microsoft, Adobe - You would end having loads of different disks for different software.. software is always evolving The whole point about a clone is it is a copy of your machine.

If possible, your best bet is probably to get another set of software just to prove whether it is that or not..

All Fiery reloads are very similar - typically 3 or 4 disks ( 4 if you have Acrobat ) - Disk 1 is the OS - normally it will boot from the disk you will see the linux bit start loading, similar to the start of the clone procedure - then if you have a screen it will go blue & you will see a message saying "All Data Will Be Deleted " then a Yes / No box. With a mouse attached you can move the "X" & select yes - if you didn't have a KeyBoard or Mouse then on the LCD screen the Top Right Button ( From memory I am pretty sure ) you would depress & this would initiate the Software load - after approx 15mins it will spit out the disk & get you to ok when the disk is out & it will reboot several times before asking for disk 2 "User Software" & follow on from there - normally a good idea to remove any USB ( keyboard & mouse not withstanding ) prior to initiating a reload..

manyfaces
09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Life would be so much easier if Xerox and EFI provided Clone disks including patches.

I'm sure Microsoft would love the idea of people distributing their software for free.

k_graham
09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
We seem to have had something similiar happen to our three xerox machines yesterday / today. Command Workstation was just showing 'Exited' and couldn't reconnect to the attached machine, nor others on the network. I noticed that Avast antivirus loaded on the Fiery had moved a component of the Fiery s/w, ARE_3017.DLL to its virus chest when the machine was turned on this morning.

I had set about restoring it from the chest but in the meantime the Xerox engineer arrived and decided it was easier to reload from a clone disk and not to resintall Avast So I can't say definitiely but all now seems to be working OK.

Is is neceesary to have a/v installed on an Embedded Windows XP system?

Hi Top Print;
I think you are on the right track - I restored from my Clone today with network cable unhooked - I then changed my Gateway address to 255 is not the gateway.

Now seeing your reply I downloaded Avast to a Workstation and installed it via USB drive to the Fiery and ran a complete scan - no virus

Fiery has certain ports.

I'm trying to figure what I need to print and scan and maybe give Fiery Hot folders another try - from a different server.

I'm willing to give up web services and anything else that might allow a virus to attach itself to an unprotected computer.

I can see we have a couple issues - one the tech replaced the copier monitor a couple weeks ago and sometimes it flashes, sometimes it goes out sometimes it doesn't start. Possibly a power pulse affecting the Fiery?

The other is I had a presentation via Go to My PC - on a different computer which meant providing access about the same time. - I am restoring a older clone to that computer. in case that created an issue. That same computer has the later EFI hotfolders process on it, I was thinking if the process was corrupted it may by causing the issue on the Fiery. Nothing is showing as having a virus but going to older Clones of the drives before the problem shouldn't hurt.

Ken

Ken

k_graham
09-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm sure Microsoft would love the idea of people distributing their software for free.

I'm sure EFI pays for every embedded system they sell - as it can only be used on that type system I don't see an issue, but if there is then it could be done by combining updates - Microsoft calls them Service Packs. Service pack 3 includes everything in 1 & 2.

EFI has the internal RIPs running on Linux so their should be no issue with all patches added to a complete system.

We as users still need to clone our systems because of additional customization, shortcuts, repeatedly used files etc.

I just know that if Xerox does a CD install that in addition to automatic patch downloads there is the need for things like the ATI driver update for 1280x1024 monitor which are separate and that Xerox probably doesn't even have on their website anymore.

Combine complete update disks with a checksum verifcation routine so all disks of a run or a download are confirmed the same and EFI could probably save a few million a year, that doesn't include the billion they could save end users.

Ken

k_graham
09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Ken

This would suggest that your DVD Drive is working..?

Yes it would wouldn't it

This isn't correct - if Windows is coming up then it isn't booting from the Disk - if it did you would see as I described.

Well I see the DVD disk light coming on & hear it but evidently the 250 needs one to push a button - EFI probably got a bit smarter on later units.

Also I little confused because you need to have the LCD screen before software can be loaded yet you already have Monitor / Keyboard & Mouse - so why does the screen need to be repaired ??

Because of how the above functions and because my Xerox tech says he can't work on it without the LCD repaired, which a different Xerox tech broke about 3 years ago when replacing the hard drive

You may well have a duff disk 1 - very unusual, plus as the EXP250 is getting on in life I am surprised that this hasn't been noticed before..?

I have a original and replacement disk - the original EFI disk would calibrate for paper but loose the calibration capability for anything else within a week. This is why when they finally provided a system that worked I made darn sure to Clone the sucker. The original disk also does not boot - needs display.

Have you tried forcing the DVD drive as a boot option from BIOS - I think it's F2 or F10 - it flashes up pretty quickly..?

As I said my Clone disk boots they way you suggest so its already set to boot from CD

Why ? nobody else does, Creo, Microsoft, Adobe - You would end having loads of different disks for different software.. software is always evolving The whole point about a clone is it is a copy of your machine.

Adobe doesn't count, they don't sell a operating system- Microsoft does somewhat they release Service Pack 3 as part of their operating system so it all installs together. Techs then use one of the online info sites to create their own disk with service packs rolled into 1 with system. Then they use the customers serial number during install so each one is individualized. EFI provides embedded system only able to be ran on their hard coded ROM - they don't bother with serial numbers on the disks they provide as the computer is the lock.

If possible, your best bet is probably to get another set of software just to prove whether it is that or not..

Already done, Xerox tech says he will be in Tuesday, I will let him replace the screen though I'm betting he will have the wrong one - however as mentioned in the thread above I think it truly is a Virus when linking to EFI for downloads so have disabled Gateway

All Fiery reloads are very similar - typically 3 or 4 disks ( 4 if you have Acrobat ) - Disk 1 is the OS - normally it will boot from the disk you will see the linux bit start loading, similar to the start of the clone procedure - then if you have a screen it will go blue & you will see a message saying "All Data Will Be Deleted " then a Yes / No box. With a mouse attached you can move the "X" & select yes - if you didn't have a KeyBoard or Mouse then on the LCD screen the Top Right Button ( From memory I am pretty sure ) you would depress & this would initiate the Software load - after approx 15mins it will spit out the disk & get you to ok when the disk is out & it will reboot several times before asking for disk 2 "User Software" & follow on from there - normally a good idea to remove any USB ( keyboard & mouse not withstanding ) prior to initiating a reload..[/QUOTE]

Sorry mine doesn't work that way - maybe newer Fierys

Note added - it turned out DVD player could read CD's but not DVD's , changing players resolved DVD reading issues.

Ken

k_graham
09-24-2011, 12:41 AM
For anyone that followed this thread - when Xerox finally did get the LED screen in the system would not boot from the Fiery disks - some brilliant tech at Xerox suggested removing and replacing the CMOS battery and then it would in fact boot from disk. As per installation instructions it was necessary not to have any USB items plugged in including keyboard. The disks do seem to have issues though as no files are showing from Fiery monitor on those disks yet they were installing the system.

The cleared CMOS allowed my clone backup to be re-installed and no crashes or sp.exe errors. www.redobackup.org (GUI) or www.clonezilla.org (text based)

The Fiery may have been hit by a surge from the copier as now the techs are working on the fuser subsystem of the copier - the Fiery itself being behind a APC battery backup.

Ken