PDA

View Full Version : Image/text boxes are gray

Printfun
08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Customer is running a Xerox 800 with a Fiery rip.

Customer gets PDFs from 1 of their designers in particular and they always contain some image and text boxes that become grayed(obviously some type of transparency issue) when printed. The normal at-rip fixes don't work- image overprint, etc.
She will send me the PDF, I save it as postscript and redistill it using the "fieryoptimized" setting. She reprints it, and it comes out fine.

So, I sent her designer the exact .joboptions file I used to process the file. She exported the file again from InDesign using the PDF settings I sent her. The boxes still show up!

Is there some other setting, say in InDesign that can be causing this? Why would my PDFs work fine, but hers, using the exact same settings not?

I know she works out of CS5 ver. 7.0 and Acrobat 9.4.1

There are a number of designers in this group who use the "fieryoptimized" setting for their outputs, and they work just fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Printfun
08-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Okay- I have a little more info that might be helpful in diagnosing this.

I had them send me the InDesign files that they created the PDF from, and what I found is that each of the boxes that have this problem have drop shadows applied to them in some way.

Now, if I have my information correct, doesn't the Fiery for the Xerox 800 employ APPE?
If so, I am even more perplexed. Does APPE perhaps need to be enabled, or is it just automatically on?

thistlegorm
08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Printfun,

Yes the EX800/1000 has APPE - if you open configure & then look under PDL settings you should see "APPE" one of the tick boxes enables it, the other makes it the Default RIP for PDF - matter of personal choice..

Assuming this needed changing & machine has rebooted & has come ready - ( without teaching you to suck eggs...) you can then submit a pdf either file import or hotfolder, APPE doesn't work on PS. Also it isn't always clear whether the RIP has actually used the APPE engine - the only way to tell is to open the device centre & the Logs Tab - on one of the column headings right click & Add ( I think it says RIP Used or similar ) & add that as a column. Run your job & then look back in the log it should say either APPE or CPSI.

Be aware that the APPE is still relatively new & as a consequence if it cannot rip with the APPE engine it will resort back to the CPSI - it wont tell you..

Printfun
08-02-2011, 10:50 AM
That's good information thistlegorm- thank you.
I will have them give this a try. The good thing is, I know they use HotFolders for the bulk of their job submission. I will let you know how they get along once they have had a chance to try it out.

Thanks again!