PDA

View Full Version : Spot color changing between PC and MAC files

RoadToRuin
07-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I am having a problem with files created on my PC and files created by my companies graphics departments MACs. We are both using ADOBE CS5, and have standardized our InDesign pdf export pre-sets and are using PDF/X-1a:2003 standard.

When I recieve a file created via MAC and I print it, the spot colors are washed out and tonally very wrong.

When I re-create the same file on my PC (using the same document settings and PANTONE library to grab my spot colors from) and print, the prints are almost perfect matches to the PANTONE swatch book.

I am using the same Spot-On color profile, color settings, media settings, etc. in command workstation's properties.

Equipment:
Canon imagePRESS c6000
imagePRESS A2100
Command Workstation 4.7.0.15 w/ Fiery Production Printing Package, Fiery Graphic Arts Package v.1, and VDP Enablement kit.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...

***EDIT****
I found that turning SPOT-ON off and just leaving the PDF/X Intent box checked on the MAC created pdfs gave the desired color.
I found that turning SPOT-ON off and just leaving the PDF/X Intent box checked on the PC created pdfs made no difference and was still proper color.
Any ideas why this is?

thistlegorm
08-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi RoadtoRuin,

Being a Xerox bod I am not familiar with Canon Kit - however I would imagine that the Functionality between the two vendor EFI RIP's will be identical or extremely close - from what you describe I think the two pdf's you have created on a MAC / PC differ ? Have you tried importing the pdf's direct to the RIP on the same queue ? if both pdf's are the same they should print exactly the same ( be they right or wrong - there shouldn't be any difference between them ).

In your edit I think you have discovered the reason for the difference.

I found that turning SPOT-ON off and just leaving the PDF/X Intent box checked on the MAC created pdfs gave the desired color.

So presumably turning Spot Colour ON - you don't get the expected Colours ?

As you know the only colour workflow applied to a spot colour is the Calibration - by turning off the Spot Colour Matching you force the Spot Colour CMYK values through a Simulation Colour Profile - presumably ISO Coated ( Fogra ).

I found that turning SPOT-ON off and just leaving the PDF/X Intent box checked on the PC created pdfs made no difference and was still proper color.

The fact that with the PC created pdf doesn't change with Spot Colour ON suggests there is a difference between the two pdf's - as it looks as if the PC pdf is just using a CMYK workflow so is going through the simulation profile whether or not Spot Colour Matching is enabled.

Since you mention your RIP has the Graphic Arts Package, a quick & dirty way of confirming this would be to import both pdfs onto the RIP, then with Spot Colour Matching enabled - go to the Job Info tab & in the Reporting pulldown you should see a PostFlight pulldown, select Colour Coded Pages.

If you then Process & Hold the Job & then view with Imageviewer find a page that you know should have a Spot Colour & see whether it is coloured Orange - if it is then the RIP is using the Spot Colour Library, if it is coloured Blue then the Spot is being pushed through a CMYK workflow ( i.e. Simulation Profile )..