PDA

View Full Version : Image Shrinking when using Impose

hpeprint
07-25-2011, 01:22 AM
We have an issue with Impose.
When using Impose to Gangup/Repeat a 85 x 55mm business card the image is printed 2mm smaller all round. When Gangup/repeat on a postcard, should be 142mm x 105mm, printing at 139 x 100mm. No scaling is applied in Impose.

This is not a machine issue, because if I gang up in InDesign and print, the measurements are correct.

CWS 5.3.0.57
Fiery v8 on Konica bizhubpro C5501

manyfaces
07-25-2011, 09:03 AM
There's also a "scale to fit" option in Fiery Setup. May be worth checking to see if that setting is off too.

hpeprint
07-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Checked the configuration on the server - everything looks okay.
Must be with the Impose script as there is no scaling applied in the Impose window.

Bob_B
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I have tested imposing a business card on an IC-408 v2.0 and the cards printed the correct dimension. Could you provide more information about the job and how it is set up?

- Is the Fiery an external (IC-303 or IC-305) or embedded (IC-408)
- What is the original document size of the business card in the design application and which application is it created in?
- How is the job submitted to the Fiery? Printed from the application or exported to PDF and imported via CWS, etc?
- What are the settings used in Impose including Sheet Size, Rows & Columns, Gutters, Bleed, Marks, etc.
- If you print the one up file before imposing, is it printed the correct dimension?

Finally, if you have a sample file that you could share, please post it here.

hpeprint
07-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Hi Bob

Embedded IC-408 Fiery
Job was created in InDesign, 85mm x 55mm with 3mm bleed, then exported as Press Quality PDF, imported to the Hold queue in CWS. Imposed on SRA3, 7 rows, 3 columns, no gutter but with 3mm bleed. (File attached).481

Regards
Richard

Bob_B
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi Richard,

Thank you for providing the file and the information. I was able to reproduce the issue you described with your setting. I found that the distance between the trim marks was 83mm x 55mm. I then opened the PDF file in Acrobat and ran a Pitstop Preflight report and found that the bleed in the PDF file is 2mm. The Media Box and Crop Box are 89mm x 59mm and the Trim Box is 85mm x 55mm. I then changed the bleed dimension in Impose to 2mm and reprinted the job and the distance between trim marks came out correctly. I have attached the preflight report. The page box dimensions are on page 3.

To confirm that this was just an issue with setting the bleed dimension to match the document, I printed a one up of the original document and measured the frame on the front side of the card. It matched the dimension of both imposed tests I ran, so I did not see any evidence of image shrinking.

I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy between the bleed dimensions defined in InDesign and the page box dimensions of the PDF file. It may be worth checking the Marks and Bleeds settings in the Job Options when you export your PDF file. See if the "Use Document Bleed Settings" option is checked.

Bob

hpeprint
07-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Hi Bob

Many thanks for this.
I will double check all settings for PDF and run a few just to be sure. Never had the problem before, but hey!

Richard