PDA

View Full Version : Mac Lion Software

rreichard
07-13-2011, 04:08 AM
To what extent will Fiery be writing drivers for Lion? My understanding is that System 9 will have Lion drivers that are not using Rosetta so should work. However all System 8 and below drivers use Rosetta which is no longer supported in the OS. Meaning all those who upgrade to 10.7, and there will be a lot, will not be able to use a Fiery driver and will instead have to resort to a generic one which will not go well.

2nd part would be when will those (at least) System 8 drivers be available? I already have some developers running Lion and they are asking

trey138
07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
all those who upgrade to 10.7

It's not even just about upgrading... any new machines will come with Lion pre-installed and won't even run 10.6.x. I'm more than happy to leave the machines I currently have at 10.6, but we're set to order a few new Macs in the near future, so I hope we'll be able to print with them.

djzolla
07-15-2011, 07:00 AM
The question here is will there be Lion system 8 drivers written?

As they have always relied on writing rosetta drivers, how far are EFI willing to go for their wide variety of rips? Hmmmm would be interesting to get a guage on the ranges that will be supported.

Wasabi
07-15-2011, 06:16 PM
I've just been running some tests on the latest applications package download (3d), and I'm finding that Command Workstation and Hot folders are working fine, with my Xerox DC242/Fiery EX260.

The print drivers are working fine from some apps like Safari, but not from other apps like text edit.

However I've found a workaround - using Hot Folders to print, even from the File > Print workflow.
1. Set a non Fiery driver as default on your mac, this will avoid crashes (I used a generic PS driver).
2. Install Hot Folders, and set up a Hot Folder to point to your Fiery (you can optionally put in job settings, I used A4/Duplex).
3. From an application like Safari, select File > Print. At the bottom left of the print window, select Edit Menu (screenshot).
4. Then browse to the Hot Folder and select.
5. You're done! Now when you print, select your Hot Folder from the bottom menu (see screenshot).

Bob_B
07-21-2011, 08:38 AM
EFI has released a Fiery Express Driver which is a universal driver that can be used with any Fiery. The driver will provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. The Fiery Express Driver is a solution that can be installed on any Macintosh using Mac OS X 10.7 to provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. Macintosh OS X 10.7 users who want to print using Fiery features should print to the Fiery “Held” queue then use Command WorkStation 5.x to edit the Job Properties.

The Fiery Express driver will support the following features for Fiery printing:
• Duplex
• Stapling
• Output Paper Size
• Color Mode
• Composite Overprint

Please see http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2165-Fiery-controler-and-MacOSX-Lion?p=7020#post7020 for the driver and setup instructions.

lflozy
08-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Good morning. I'm writing because our business uses macs and will be switching to Lion soon. We have a couple Konica-Minolta printer/copiers that use your drivers. They of course currently install with Rosetta so will not be compatible with Lion. Do you have any time frame on new drivers for 10.7? Unfortunately, the express driver mentioned above won't work well for us. Thanks.

donmontalvo
08-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Good morning. I'm writing because our business uses macs and will be switching to Lion soon. We have a couple Konica-Minolta printer/copiers that use your drivers. They of course currently install with Rosetta so will not be compatible with Lion. Do you have any time frame on new drivers for 10.7? Unfortunately, the express driver mentioned above won't work well for us. Thanks.

Why on earth would ANYONE want to move to Lion if they have the option to stay on Snow Leopard? It's clear EFI needs time to get their drivers updated to support Lion. Why? I'm not quite sure as EFI could (and should) have at LEAST prepared for this time by having their engineers download Lion through developer.apple.com so they could prepare the driver updates BEFORE Lion is released.

Oy!

Don Montalvo, TX

markdyck
08-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Why on earth would ANYONE want to move to Lion if they have the option to stay on Snow Leopard? It's clear EFI needs time to get their drivers updated to support Lion. Why? I'm not quite sure as EFI could (and should) have at LEAST prepared for this time by having their engineers download Lion through developer.apple.com so they could prepare the driver updates BEFORE Lion is released.

Oy!

Don Montalvo, TX

I agree, the people that "jump" onto a new OS need to think it through first and make sure there aren't compatibility issues. Where a new Mac is purchased and comes shipped with Lion, then that's not their fault. Fight the "upgrade bug" until you know it's going to work with your equipment!

lflozy
08-05-2011, 06:51 AM
That's the biggest issue actually. We will be hiring new employees and they will have Lion. Otherwise we are not in a rush, but it is going to be necessary.

Bob_B
01-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Please see http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2824-OS-10.7-compatible-drivers-available for updates regarding Mac OS 10.7 compatible drivers.