PDA

View Full Version : Common Settings for Adobe CS5 Applications?

klenahan
05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Hello,

We recently swapped out our DocuColor 12 with a Splash G640 for a DocuColor 252 with Embedded Fiery RIP.

Since the swap we have been disappointed with the quality of output from the new machine.

95% of what we print is from Adobe Illustrator CS5 - we are a design & branding consultancy.

The prints are used mostly for internal review - but are used in presentations and product mock-ups.

Our workstations are all Intel based Macs, all running 10.6.7.

We currently calibrate the printer "off the glass" using Hammermill Color Copy paper - 28lb 100 Brightness.

This is the same combination we used with our Doc12.

Our current prints look a little washed out, the spot colors not as vibrant as before and text not as crisp.

We have noticed that Yellow looks "stonger" when we compare prints between the old & new machines.

These color problems do not affect any copies we make - we are quite happy with the results.

Since there are so many variables between on how Illustrator, OSX and the Fiery handle color, any guidance would be helpful.

We have tried contacting the Xerox Agent who set up the machine, but have not recieved any response.

Craig M
06-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks for your post. You should contact your Xerox sales rep and look into getting a demo on an ES1000. This does a much better job than off the glass and will help with Spot Colors as well.
-Craig

adam1991
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
My guess is that your line screen is set to something office-oriented. As I recall, you can change that in your driver, as well as in Fiery Setup to be whatever default you want.

Please PM me. I would be happy to help you work through this issue.

The 252 does seem to have a bit of a yellow cast overall; profiling can help that.

djzolla
06-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi there

I agree with the 252 having a bit of a yellow tint to it.

My recommendations would to set the workflow within the fiery as follows.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7202/workflowd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/workflowd.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

You should really calibrate the copier first using decent 100gsm. Then Calibrate the Fiery using a handheld i1 of some sort. This will give you a much better representation of the output profile.

CS5 settings:

CMYK - ISOv2 - Fogra 39
Preserve all embedded profiles.
Let the rip determine colours when sending the job.

Try all of that matee.

GL

markdyck
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your post. You should contact your Xerox sales rep and look into getting a demo on an ES1000. This does a much better job than off the glass and will help with Spot Colors as well.
-Craig

I will second this reply. With my 3260C, I used to calibrate off the glass and had horrible results much like you're describing. Colours were washed out, spot colours not what they should be. I used the ES-1000 that came along with the purchase of my C900 and WOW, what a difference! All of a sudden my inconsistent 3260 now could actually reproduce colour as I would like.

STRONGLY press to have a Xerox rep come and demo it by calibrating your machine, you'll be very happy with the results. As I've now learned, if you are at all concerned about colour, you need to have one of these.

klenahan
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I lost my first reply because my session timed out - so here I go again.

First of all, thank you to all of you who took the time to respond.

- djzolla
I tried the settings you recommended - and the results are better than before - but not good enough.

I do have an i1 Photo - how do I go about using this instead of calibrating off the glass?

The "Color Settings" I am using in Illustrator are:

Working Spaces
RGB: SRGB IEC61966-2.1
CMYK: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2

Color Management Profiles
RGB: Preserve Embedded Profiles
CMYK: Preserve Numbers (Ignored Linked Profiles) - we had issues with client supplied files with bizarre profiles

In the Print dialog box under "Output":
Convert All Spot Colors to Process is NOT selected

Under "Color Management":
Document Profile: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
Color Handling: Let Postscript® printer determine colors
Printer Profile: N/A
Rendering Intent: Relative Colorimetric
Preserve CMYK Numbers IS selected.

markdyck
06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
The process to start should be no different than calibrating the Fiery from the glass. When you have "Calibrator" open, where the measurement method is listed, instead of choosing ColorCal, choose the one that says ES-1000 (in my case it says EFI Spectrometer ES-1000). Then, print your measurement page and bring it back to the computer you have the ES-1000 (i1 Photo) connected to.

Now, I'm presuming you have the big case that the i1 came in? If so, do you have the big white "thing" that's strapped onto the top of the case? (sorry, can't think of the right name for it) That's where you place the measurement sheet on for calibrating. The purpose is to provide a neutral backing for the spectometer to work off. If you don't have it, you could use a few sheets of whatever stock you use primarily in the machine.

From there, you should be able to follow the prompts on screen!

Gary_S
06-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Don't forget, if you want additional information or training on your Fiery, EFI has a great e-learning system which allows you to train at your own pace. The list of courses can be found here: http://efi.com/services/training/course-descriptions.asp#eLearning

There is a minimal fee for these courses, but EFI offers a sample course "Optimizing Color and Consistency on your Fiery Controller" at no charge. Encourage you to check it out, as well as some of the other topics you may find helpful.

Good luck!

Gary