PDA

View Full Version : Color pdf prints fine simplex, but only prints black duplex

mcarel
05-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Greetings All! New to the site, but I'm sure I'll be here often!

I am a production printing technician. I've been all black and white for years, but am now crossing over to the color side, so I'm on uncertain ground here. I have a customer with an A3100 Fiery, System 8 Release 2 Version 2 CWS4.6 connected to a Canon IPC6000. Occasionally they get a file that won't print correctly. There will be a page in the file that loses its color components and only prints the black component.

For example: They are currently working on a book that has around 300 pages in the file. It contains some black only pages and some full color pages. It is supposed to be printed duplex. When they print it duplex, one page (half black text, half photo) prints only the black component. The text is fine and only the black parts of the photo print. The CMY components are gone. If they print that page simplex it prints correctly, full color. I have taken just a few pages (including the problem one) on a USB thumb drive to another customer with an IPC6000 and it prints fine duplex on their machine. They have a different Fiery. It is an A1100, System 8 Release 2 Version 1, CWS4.6.

I have eliminated both customers' workstations and print drivers by dumping the file on the Fiery desktop and printing it straight from Adobe on the Fiery itself. Both printers are at the same firmware level, so the only difference is the Fierys.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Printfun
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
If you are printing from a PDF, have you tried saving it out as postscript(.ps) and redistilling it using either the high quality, or fieryoptimized setting?
Sometimes just reprocessing a PDF like this can produce a file that an otherwise finicky rip will accept.

mcarel
06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, yes, they have already tried reprocessing the pdf and it didn't help. I have also installed CWS 5.3 and it does the same thing. I've tried printing it from Adobe Acrobat and Reader (both 9 and X) with the same resluts. I'm waiting on Fiery system software disks to arrive because all I seem to have left to try is a reload on the Fiery.

Printfun
06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Is the Fiery fully patched?

mcarel
06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Yes, I believe it is. I know it is set to automatically check and install anything new.

Karl_T
06-09-2011, 08:59 AM
On the Canon A3100 controller, the auto updates you have it setup to retrieve are only the updates for the for the Windows side. That model does not take Fiery Patches this way.

I would recommend escalating this to your regional Canon Support Center for Canon/EFI investigation toward a resolution.

mcarel
06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
OK, thanks Karl. I wondered about that since the only patches I saw in the log were from Microsoft. I have been working this with our support desk and am waiting on the system software reload disks to arrive. I will ask them about how we get the patches for the A3100. Are patches available for download from EFi's site?

Karl_T
06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
OK, thanks Karl. I wondered about that since the only patches I saw in the log were from Microsoft. I have been working this with our support desk and am waiting on the system software reload disks to arrive. I will ask them about how we get the patches for the A3100. Are patches available for download from EFi's site?

I'm glad your support desk is working with you on this issue.

As this is a Canon product, Canon is the channel for patch distribution. EFI does not post the Fiery patches.

Best Regards,

Karl