PDA

View Full Version : Xerox Docucolor 242 Mac osx 10.7 Lion

dthompson
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I have a customer who is already testing Mac OS 10.7. They are unable to install the print driver as it is a Rosetta based installer that Lion does not support. Also using a generic PPD is out as the customer is using account codes (users and groups) Are there a work around until a new installer is released? For instance is there a PPD install package that is not Rosetta based ? Or perhaps a PPD (non Rosetta) for another model that incorporates similar PJL commands so that the Docucolor can interpret and still use account codes? Thanks for your time.

dthompson
05-25-2011, 06:13 AM
The plot thickens... I was trying to find a newer machine that was similar to the Docucolor so i researched the color 550/560. Seems that the xerox color 550 printer installer is not Rosetta based. The pjl commands seem to be very similar to that of the Docucolor 242. I am able to print from a windows based machine using the 550 driver to the Docucolor 242 and use authentication (users and group codes) with no errors. sure the finishing options are a little different but this just shows that the machines are very similar. The color 550 installer installs on 10.7 without a hitch, only issue is it crashes the application when trying to print or the print queue hangs saying "Busy". Obviously the PPD I am using is written for 10.6, and being a newer model should be supported when 10.7 is officially released.

Are there any 10.7 beta drivers available yet for xerox Fiery machines?

djzolla
06-02-2011, 01:29 AM
I am sorry but If your client has decided to upgrade to OSX 10.7 then they are at fault here. They are asking for trouble here as we all know how long it took EFI to write drivers for 10.6.

manyfaces
06-02-2011, 09:28 AM
One thing you can try is using just the PPD rather than the full Fiery driver.

I don't have 10.7 but with 10.6, one of our workarounds was to delete the Fiery Plugin after installing the driver. This would make the driver behave kind of like the older-style mac drivers (for example, our Ricoh E-3000 which ran System 8e) where you had a "Printer Features" menu with lots of submenus rather than the fancy shmancy "Fiery Features" interface identical to CWS job properties.

I found the plugins located in
MacHD/Library/Printers/Ricoh/PDEs

Obviously, Xerox plugins would not be located in a Ricoh folder but you get the idea...

I moved the plugins to the trash and left them there while I ran some tests before committing to deleting them.

While my installers still worked in 10.6, in 10.7 I suspect that you could just copy the PPD you want to the PPD folder rather than trying to run the full installer. Adding a Mac printer just involves adding the PPD (if autodetect fails, you can browse to wherever the PPD is located).

Greta_C
07-14-2011, 08:47 PM
I highly recommend against upgrading to 10.7, there are many problems with existing drivers.

1. If you have an older installer (as noted above) it will not even install, as rosetta is blocked.

2. If you have a newer installer, it will install, but some sandboxed apps (such as text edit, preview and Acrobat Pro) will flat out crash when printing to it. Non sandboxed apps seem OK so far...

We will have some solutions posted online soon, first of all you'll see a mini driver, that provides minimal options but works fine with Lion.

**Disclaimer: Please don't consider this an official statement from EFI (it is not), just a warning from a fellow mac and fiery user.**

thegraphicsfactory
09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I also struggled with this recently. We have a number of Macs running older Mac OS X systems so I simply set one up with the correct print driver for the 242 and shared that printer out to the network in the sharing settings (system preferences).

The Lion systems see the shared printer and all of the usual features of the PPD are available in Lion.

HTH,
Peter.

thistlegorm
09-16-2011, 12:48 PM
So the MAC you have shared the printer out on now becomes a Print Server ? presumably the person using the MAC notices no fall off in performance when the rest of the Office print to it ??

thegraphicsfactory
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
This particular Mac's only other function is to serve up the iTunes library around the shop - we've noticed no fall off in performance in this regard . . . The speed of print jobs running through this print-server-as-a-RIP is as fast as the (newly replaced) designer's old Mac's native speed.