PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Default Printer Settings in a Mixed 64/32 bit Environment

bryandam
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
We just setup a new Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit server to act as our printer server, among other things. Our clients connect to them via Terminal Servers/Citrix which run on Windows Server 2003 32 bit. The printer in question is a Konica Minolta BizHub Pro C5500 running a Fiery IC-408. I installed the latest 64 bit and 32 bit drivers (detail images below) on the new server downloaded from KM's site since I couldn't find the IC-408 listed at EFI's site.

The problem is this, I cannot figure out how to set the default print settings. You cannot change or overwrite the 'Default Job Template' which uses Color Specific as it's paper type. I created a new template called Default and select it as the default print setting on the print server. However, the clients still default to the Default Job Template when the printer is added to their account. I tried managing the new print server from one of the 32 bit Terminal Servers but when I change the default print settings to use the new Default template it simply does not persist that change. If I open the default settings again or reload the printer to a client it goes back to the Default Job Template.

I already tried the suggestions from this similar post (http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2018-Windows-7-64bit-driver-Server-Properties-ignored?highlight=Default+Job+Template).

Any thoughts on how to either persist the default print settings or modify the Default Job Template to use plain paper instead of Color Specific?

32 Bit Driver:

64 Bit Driver:

Bruce_W
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Hello Bryandam,

For that driver I believe the default Paper Type is Printer's Default. You can change the default Paper Type in Configure on the Fiery controller.

Launch Configure from CWS or WebTools. In PS Setup go to Paper Type and change it to Plain, apply the change and reboot the controller. This should allow the driver to use the default Printer's Default setting and Plain paper will be used by default.

If this is the only setting you need to change you shouldn't have to make any changes to the default driver settings. I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Bruce

bryandam
03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reply Bruce.

I checked the controller's default paper type and it's already set to plain. The driver's paper type selection doesn't seem to have a Printer's Default option. I manually updated the fiery driver using two-way communication to make sure everything there was set properly.

I didn't specify this above but I'm using the PCL drivers.

Any other ideas?

Bruce_W
03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Bryandam,

Yes, my mistake as I missed the PCL driver portion.

The PostScript driver has the Printer's Default option. There are other advantages in using the PostScript driver including color quality and job property overrides. Would you be able to use the PostScript driver or do you need PCL for some reason?

Best Regards,
Bruce

bryandam
03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Bruce, it's a bit early to tell definitively but it appears the PS drivers are doing the trick.

We didn't install them initially because early on when I tried to install them onto the new 64 bit server it choked when installing the 32 bit drivers: it kept prompting me to locate a file that wasn't anywhere to be found. The PCL drivers installed fine so I went with those. The solution, should it help anyone else, is that you can install just the 64 bit drivers on the server and then use a 32 bit client to connect to the print server (navigate to \\server\Printing and Faxing) and add the 32 bit drivers remotely.

Thanks again for you help,
Bryan