PDA

View Full Version : Spot On and Adjusting brightness of output

sbyprint
03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
As I have always understood Spot On, the colors should be unaffected by any other adjustments being made.

We are running a job and the spot color is lightening when we are using the brightness setting on of Fiery. I have confirmed that the color is set to spot both by using the preflight tool on the RIP and by the fact that when adjustng the Spot On mix, only that single color will change.

If I am mistaken and this is how it is supposed to work, is there anyway to "lock" a spot color, so it will look the same if a print is run at 100% brightness or at 85% brightness?

Thanks in advance
Joel

Ricoh C900s with embedded Fiery RIP
ES-1000 Spectro

Rod_C
05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Hi Joel,
You are correct, the Spot Colors are not affected by changes to the CMYK (Simulation) profile. However, they are affected by calibration. The setting for 85% brightness does change the density of every element on the page. However, you do raise an interesting point. I will investigate further.
Regards,
Rod.

sbyprint
05-24-2011, 05:22 AM
This can be very confusing / problematic the way it works now. Depending upon which operator is running a job, one person may change the spot colors first and another may adjust the overall document first.

Also, some documents may need to be run slightly lighter or darker because of the content and adjusting this while also having common spot colors contained can cause confusion down the line.

If there could be an option to "lock" the spot colors down and have them not be affected by the brightness /density adjustments, that would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Joel

Nick_V
05-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Spot On keeps spot color data seperate from CMYK or RGB data until it is rastered. However, some Fiery controls (such as "Brightness" or "Imageviewer") touch the final CMYK raster where there is no longer any spot data to distinguish at this point. This is expected, Fiery has tools to adjust the raster and other tools to adjust the data before it is rastered. It's just a matter of knowing which tools do what.

In order to "lock" spot colors you need to use the tools that specifically target the color type or data that you would like to change. You don't want to print the entire document lighter or darker, just certain parts of it. Using the targeted tools makes more sense for your workflow.

In your case, either your simulation profiles or your output profiles would be the appropriate controls.