PDA

View Full Version : Fiery controler and MacOSX Lion

E.T.
03-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Hello

As every body knows, Apple is ready to release his Lion MacOS 10.7 OS

What about Fiery utilities and drivers ???

thanks

Emmanuel TRICHET

djzolla
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi there

Yes this is an interesting question. We, as a support business, really struggled when Snow Leopard was released. We had so many issues due to Fiery not having drivers ready. Our clients are 90% Mac orientated. Does EFI not have a development account with Apple to test beta OS's?

Are we ready gentleman?:) be great to hear any news....

Paul

Karen_K
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
EFI is currently reviewing this new OS and assessing Fiery print drivers and the Fiery applications such as Command WorkStation 5 and Hot Folders.

E.T.
03-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Hello

Same for us, our customers are only working on graphic arts with Canon IPC1 or Canon IPC7000VP and 100% on Mac.

I confirm that we will have probs ...
my own report trials on a Beta Lion (and I know what means beta ... :) ) :
* the installers of Fiery drivers are old school PowerPC items and do not install as PowerPC apps are no more supported
* I install CWS5 without probs, but have an error on starting appplication
* I1 Process control V2.1 seems to work

I am ready to proceed any trial or beta test

brgds

E.T.

trey138
03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm still having enough trouble with 10.6.x that most of my machines are at 10.5.8. We've got an older machine (Canon iR 5085 with a H1 controller) that I can't get to print at all, and CWS seems to really dislike Snow Leopard. I hope EFI can step up to the plate on 10.7.

djzolla
03-14-2011, 05:09 AM
IN REPLY TO THE LAST REPLY OF THIS POST:

Firstly I am struggling with the machine you are talking about. Can I ask whether whether it is a IRC 5185? Is this a colour machine? If so what version of software are you running on the H1? You need to upgrade the software to v2 if it isn't already there. This will get rid of your 10.6.x issues as there is a 10.6 driver for the version 2 software of this controller. Also make sure your OSX 10.6.x is updated with the latest version namely 10.6.6. Apple created havoc with the version before this one.

If you can't upgrade your controller have you applied the 10.6 fiery driver patch on the macs? If not do this asap.

Paul

trey138
03-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Can I ask whether whether it is a IRC 5185? Is this a colour machine? If so what version of software are you running on the H1?

Yes, that's the machine, and it is color. It looks like it's running Version 1.2. I've asked our service company if they could get me the software upgrade, but they don't even know what I'm talking about. Is there anyway I could get the upgrade directly from EFI?

If you can't upgrade your controller have you applied the 10.6 fiery driver patch on the macs? If not do this asap.

Word! Thanks man, I wish I had known about that sooner. Worked like a charm.

djzolla
03-17-2011, 02:08 AM
;)

I am glad you are all sorted:)

7jlong
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Xerox DocuColor 242 w/built-in Fiery controller.

Here is the real problem that is coming soon which has not been brought up yet:

EFI has so far not updated the installer packages for Macintosh OS to get them to join Apple in a move that was made six years ago - the move off of PowerPC and onto Intel.

Consequently, the Mac installer packages require Rosetta - a PowerPC compatibility app - to be able to install the drivers and work properly with OS 10.6. Additionally, 64-bit applications do not print properly. They must be run at 32-bit.

With OS 10.7, there are currently no plans to retain Rosetta.

Meaning: never mind CUPS or patches or permissions or any of the other problems that 10.6 brought, with OS 10.7 the current EFI installer package will be blocked from running at all because it is outdated and obsolete - and has been for years.

Nick_V
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Please try to avoid generalizing one specific Fiery controller issue to general EFI behavior. This risks confusing other users.

EFI has so far not updated the installer packages for Macintosh OS to get them to join Apple in a move that was made six years ago - the move off of PowerPC and onto Intel.

This is only true with System 8R2 and earlier Fiery controllers. System 9 and later controllers use the universal Packagemaker-based installers and do not require Rosetta. Obviously, with 10.7 coming any day now, we're going to need to do something about the pre-system9 controllers.

Additionally, 64-bit applications do not print properly. They must be run at 32-bit.

This is also not a universal truth. EFI released 64-bit compatible drivers for most System8R2 and System 8eR2 controllers. System 9 and later controllers also all come with 64-bit drivers.

With regard to older products like your DC242 the decision about new operating system support is one which has to be determined by agreement between EFI and the OEM (in your case, Xerox). While EFI pays attention to issues which users mention in the forums, EFI's actual customer is the OEM. EFI cannot act unilaterally without the OEMs' support. The best way to get new OS support on old products (especially those which are at least four years old) is to make sure your OEM is aware of the issue.

7jlong
05-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Please try to avoid generalizing one specific Fiery controller issue to general EFI behavior. This risks confusing other users.

I mentioned my machine model, right at the top there.

This is only true with System 8R2 and earlier Fiery controllers. System 9 and later controllers use the universal Packagemaker-based installers and do not require Rosetta. Obviously, with 10.7 coming any day now, we're going to need to do something about the pre-system9 controllers.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the problems that were introduced with OS 10.6 (notorious, even in this thread) weren't interesting enough for EFI to address, but the 10.7 problems will be? Well, better late than never I suppose.

Also, what would you suggest: I dump an 18-month old machine simply because my controller just missed your cutoff for being worth it for EFI to update? I'm not surprised by the business model, but a little disappointed. Every single other production machine I maintain - with ages ranging from 6 months to 14 years old - has current, updated drivers. Except my EFI Fiery controller.

With regard to older products like your DC242

Oh? Older? Why is it still the first model that one sees when looking under Xerox's site under Production Equipment/Production Printers & Copiers? "Featured", no less? I take it these machines are still shipping with older Fiery controllers, since the driver hasn't been updated? Implying that I am somehow behind the curve and attempting to nurse along some old relic is counterproductive and frankly inaccurate.

The best way to get new OS support on old products is to make sure your OEM is aware of the issue.

Oh, you mean: I contact vendor to get them to press OEM. Vendor contacts Xerox. Xerox points at EFI. EFI shrugs. Vendor learns that Apple is upset with EFI as well. Or is it Xerox? They're not sure. Vendor shrugs. So I've got you pointing at Xerox and a rep that tells me Xerox is pointing at EFI. I've got reams of emails and communications I've sent attempting to find a solution for this problem, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Wasabi
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.support.xerox.com/support/xerox-color-550-560/downloads/enus.html?associatedProduct=XRIP_550_integrated_Fi ery&operatingSystem=macosx

The 550/560 is like the next generation of the DC242.

The drivers work fine for me, when printing to my DC242 from OS10.6.

Bob_B
07-21-2011, 08:34 AM
EFI has released a Fiery Express Driver which is a universal driver that can be used with any Fiery. The driver will provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. The Fiery Express Driver is a solution that can be installed on any Macintosh using Mac OS X 10.7 to provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. Macintosh OS X 10.7 users who want to print using Fiery features should print to the Fiery “Held” queue then use Command WorkStation 5.x to edit the Job Properties.

The Fiery Express driver will support the following features for Fiery printing:
• Duplex
• Stapling
• Output Paper Size
• Color Mode
• Composite Overprint

Please see the attached Fiery Express Driver Setup Guide for additional information.

E.T.
08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Many thanks for this info ... I will proceed test ASAP

E.T.

TimWilliams
08-10-2011, 12:43 AM
I have a MacPro Intel twin core running OS 10.5.8 which serves a Canon CLC3220 using a Fiery RIP.

I pay a full service contract with Canon which is supposed to include software support but they provide only mechanical maintenance.

I have CWS Macintosh edition 1.60f10 which does not function correctly and Canon say there is no upgrade.

The Canon Driver is Canon CLC-IR C3220-C1 PS Ver2.1 which works most of the time.

I have Fiery remote scan 5 which currently works a s a stand-alone scanner controller.

What versions of the drivers and software should I have now?

What version should I use if I upgrade to Lion?

Karl_T
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Your Canon service organization is correct.

There are no further updates for the imagePASS C1 as it is no longer supported.

If you must update your Mac to Lion OS, you could download the Fiery Express driver as referenced at this post: Fiery Express Diver (http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2454-EFI-has-released-a-universal-Mac-OS-X-10.7-Fiery-Print-Driver) - However - please be advised that because the imagePASS C1 is no longer supported, we cannot be absolutely certain that you will not experience any difficulties with this driver/Fiery Controller combination.

As for CWS - The imagePASS C1 was based on a much earlier Fiery version (System 5e) than what the current CWS version supports. The CWS version which supported the C1 was the older CWS LE version which may or may not run on your current OSX version.

Many Thanks and Best of Luck,,

Karl

I have a MacPro Intel twin core running OS 10.5.8 which serves a Canon CLC3220 using a Fiery RIP.

I pay a full service contract with Canon which is supposed to include software support but they provide only mechanical maintenance.

I have CWS Macintosh edition 1.60f10 which does not function correctly and Canon say there is no upgrade.

The Canon Driver is Canon CLC-IR C3220-C1 PS Ver2.1 which works most of the time.

I have Fiery remote scan 5 which currently works a s a stand-alone scanner controller.

What versions of the drivers and software should I have now?

What version should I use if I upgrade to Lion?

E.T.
08-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Hello
at home I am using a CLC3200 with an old C1 (with power switch) and I am using CWS5.3 on Lion

for the office use (my daughters are still on university) I am using standard PS driver

for graphical arts use (I am printing association news letters and somme sundries), I make a propre pdf v4 with acrobat pro and importing that pdf through CWS.
I change properties once imported
a little messie but useable for a light working charge

E.T.

idauteuil
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Bob,

I have a number of graphic design clients that recently purchased iRC5035's with imagepass B1 Fiery controllers. None of these clients are using Command Workstation and dont want to, since their devices are mainly just for printing off proofs or single sets.
Recently a number of them have upgraded to Lion and don't have Rosetta, so the 10.6 Fiery driver won't work. I recommended the Fiery Express Driver, except now they don't have a duplex or color mode options available.
Any suggestions, info on a full Fiery driver or info on the Canon imagePass B1 PS driver for Lion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

EFI has released a Fiery Express Driver which is a universal driver that can be used with any Fiery. The driver will provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. The Fiery Express Driver is a solution that can be installed on any Macintosh using Mac OS X 10.7 to provide basic feature support for Fiery printing. Macintosh OS X 10.7 users who want to print using Fiery features should print to the Fiery “Held” queue then use Command WorkStation 5.x to edit the Job Properties.

The Fiery Express driver will support the following features for Fiery printing:
• Duplex
• Stapling
• Output Paper Size
• Color Mode
• Composite Overprint

Please see the attached Fiery Express Driver Setup Guide for additional information.

trey138
11-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm really in a place now where I need support for Lion, as I'm about to install several new Apple iMacs which will of course ship with Lion. I've noticed that CWS will run under an admin account on lion, but not under a managed account. unfortunately, I can't let the users run with admin privileges.

Is there a solution to this in the works? Switching to Windows is also not an option. Is there a time frame for deployment here?

adam1991
11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi Bob,

I have a number of graphic design clients that recently purchased iRC5035's with imagepass B1 Fiery controllers. None of these clients are using Command Workstation and dont want to, since their devices are mainly just for printing off proofs or single sets.

On this point, may I suggest that file-print is daily becoming a less and less suitable mechanism for this sort of user. File-print means turning their complex designs to Postscript, and Postscript simply can't carry that load adequately. Development of Postscript ended years ago, and it will never carry that load adequately.

For better or worse, exporting to a modern version of PDF and delivering that directly to the Fiery is the only reliable way to ensure that the design survives in its entirety all the way to the printing system. It's an extra step, but CWS5 makes it easier to deal with due to its drag-and-drop capabilities. Make the PDF and drag it into CWS5, which could be running locally on the workstation, and there you go.

Modern PDF contains everything the InDesign document has. As time goes on, all printing systems will support the Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE)--which essentially replicates the InDesign construction model and entirely eliminates Postscript and its limitations and compromises, allowing the full design to be realized by the RIP.

Your future lies in PDF and CWS5, and file-print will go away.

We now return you to your regular programming. :)

djzolla
11-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Hi Adam1991

As I, a technical spe******t, wholely agree with what you say, it is unfortunately not practical in certain environments. Graphic desgin agencies have designers sitting at Macs that refuse to create PDF's everytime they make a quick change (can you blame them?). If they know the option is there to File/print than that is what they will do as it is what they have always done. Believe me I have tried to force the issue on many occasions but you always fall short with it.

You cannot blanket this way of working unfortunately. Once APPE is fully operational things of course will change. CS6 will bring a world of peace for all techies (one hopes anyways).

manyfaces
11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Graphic desgin agencies have designers sitting at Macs that refuse to create PDF's everytime they make a quick change (can you blame them?)

While I understand the reluctance, any design agency which knows what it's doing will know that delivering a good PDF (even just as a reference copy) to the printer is extremely helpful. Moving them toward a more consistent workflow may be the best way to deal with this issue.

Export PDF -> Import to CWS is admittedly a pain, but exporting a PDF directly to a HotFolder is pretty close to printing and avoids having to juggle the Adobe print settings and the Fiery print settings. I never liked the double UI thing that all the proper design programs force you to go through anyway.

Switching to a PDF/hotfolder-based workflow would bring a lot of consistency to the file preview/printing workflow. And it would be looking forward to the APPE-based RIPs which are coming down the pipe.

Bob_B
01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Please see http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2824-OS-10.7-compatible-drivers-available for updates regarding Mac OS 10.7 compatible drivers.

TimWilliams
08-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Here's the fix.
Source and old Macbook (intel if possible) running OS10.4.x. I found one on **** for £150. Put it on your network. Install the last canon driver c741mux.dmg. Set up the printer on the Macbook selecting Canon_colour_print and the Canon CLC-iR C3200-C1 PS Ver2.1 driver.
Go to your you mac running Lion and set up the printer which will appear as Canon_colour_print@MACBOOK NAME.
When you print using that printer all the functions will be available as if the printer was directly connected.