PDA

View Full Version : FieryBar says (null) 300 s after Fiery update 1-18NICM

jozprint
12-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Dear Fiery reader,
After installing the Fiery-update 1-18NICM, I have difficulties at start-up.
Sometimes the Fiery gets "excited", and I have to restart.
On an other occasion the FieryBar kept hanging on the warning (null) 300s. Normally after start-up this warning appears and dissapears in a few seconds. But now it kept going on, which maked it impossible to print.
The printer itself told me, that there was a mistake, and that I had to restart the printer. So I restarted the Fiery and the Xerox DC242 from zero, un-plugging the power after closing down.
That helped, but every time I start-up now, this update keeps re-appearing as un-installed, and the update doesn't show up in the update history.
I also tried re-installing the update, but that won't help.

So this is my system:
Fiery 8, all earlier patches installed, CWS 5.2 on Windows XP
Client CWS 5.2 on Mac available
Xerox DC242
And I am sorry to say I localized it all to Dutch :-(

I hope there is simple answer for this topic ;-)
thx

jozprint
12-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Furthermore I discovered I lost all my Fiery settings, all settings are gone back to standard settings :confused:

(I know that I chose the wrong Fiery forum, probably due to a certain amount of stress ...)

Anybody same experience with this patch?

grtz

Craig M
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Thank you for your post. I'm sorry you're having problems with the driver patch. I have a few questions. Do you have PRODID and 1-13WCOL loaded? After installing 1-18NICM did you wait until the Fiery prompted you to reboot? If the patch was not done installing, reinstalling would not help. What you can try is: Go to "Check for System Updates," manually download the patch. Once downloaded, execute the .exe and manually install the patch. Wait until the Fiery prompts for reboot. Reboot your Fiery and check to see the patch shows up on the configuration page. As far as your other issues go, I'm not sure what to say. Once you get them fixed, remember to use the Backup and Restore function.

jozprint
12-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi Graig, thx for replying!
Yes, ProdId and 1-13WCOL loaded, and 8 other Fiery updates thereafter.
Can't I skip this 1-18NICM? It is still appearing as an update, however I installed it allready twice with the message that the installation succeeded.
Though it won't appear in the updatehistory.
Don't bother to much, Ill work around it ...
grtz

thistlegorm
12-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi Jozprint,

Following on from Craig's post, I have seen something similar & thought it might help your issue.
If you open E:\EFI\Server\patch\log in notepad & drill down to the bottom of the file this might give you a reason as to why to patch did not load successfully ( I think this is probably the real reason ).

Also do you have System Updates set to automatically download & install ? or is it set to just notify ? my reason for asking is if it is set to Automatically download & Install it will download the patch to D:\Sysupdates\data & the resulting folder will not disappear from that directory until it shows as installed in System Updates. I wonder whether the patch is sat in the data folder & consequently tries to load when you reboot ? if it is in there delete the 1-18NICM folder & reboot & see whether the Fiery starts to behave itself.

You could then try Craigs suggestion of manually installing the patch - it can be downloaded from here:

https://liveupdate.efi.com/WebUpdater/default.aspx?uv=004&sid=f45a410f05a4294adba2bf415555304cEF920964.PPD

- it is quite large < 170Mb.

If you run the exe & point it to the Fiery, as it is unpacked you should see the ps file loading on the Command Bar & then disappear - you'll then be prompted to reboot - at this point I would wait at least a minute before rebooting.

When the Fiery reboots & logs into Windows you will see the Command Bar say "Starting" & then it will probably go exited, at this point it isn't clear whether the Fiery is doing something or has just stopped... the natural inclination is to try rebooting the Fiery - before you do that I would try doing a ctrl + alt + del & running Task Manager click on the processess tab ( you may want to elongate the pane) if you look towards the top of the processess, with the Command Bar still showing Exited you will see processess like xcopy.exe, sleep.exe, netconfig.exe etc appearing / disappearing so at least you know that the Fiery is doing something, it can take as long as 6 minutes for some of the patches to fully load.. hopefully it will eventually come ready with the patch successfully loaded...

Might help you out -can you let us know the outcome..

jozprint
12-17-2010, 01:19 AM
thx thistlegorm

Yes, my neighbour-greatfirm-IT-spe******t did almost the same suggestions, as you and Graig have done. So I think we might be on the right path.
When the holiday rush is over in a few weeks, and there will be more time, I'll give it a serious try.
About updating: when a new update arrives, I get a warning in the taskbar right down corner. But I have to manually approve to install. Automatic installing on a bad moment isn't my favourite ;-)

Thanks a lot so far, I wish you both allready a nice holiday!

jozprint
12-17-2010, 01:21 AM
?? I don't know why s p e c i a l i s t has all these ****, not mine ...
jozprint