PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7, 64bit driver - Server Properties ignored

Setright
11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Dear readers!

With a multiple OS driver package installed on a Server 2008, sharing to XP clients is problem free. However, when point-to-point installing onto Windows 7 64bit clients, the default properties are 100% standard, and not those that I have editted on the server, beforehand.

Specifically, I de-activate "Update Fiery Driver when Opened" on the server's advanced properties, but Windows 7 machines ignore this and it causes the "Please verify installable options" pop-up to appear sporadically on the user machines.

This is happening on an IC-412, by the way.

And no, I am not changing the local properties on the server, I am altering "Printer defaults" on the "Advanced" page :D

Bruce_W
11-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Hello Setright,

Is your Windows Server 32bit, 64bit or Server 2008 R2?

Best regards,
Bruce

Setright
11-19-2010, 01:58 AM
32 bit R2.

It's a problem I have seen in a few places now. It might not be an EFI issue, of course. It could just be the mix of Windows OS's that are teasing me.

kmbs-dcd
12-10-2010, 08:11 PM
The thread is a bit dated, but just in case you are still having problems try unchecking "Advanced Print Features" in the driver properties. This is located on the Advanced tab just above the button for "Printing Defaults".

In fact I recommend ALWAYS unchecking this box. Do this on the server, do it on the desktop, I even do it to the shared printers on the Fiery itself where possible. According to MS this "feature" adds functionality to dumb desktop printers by having the WinPrint system perform some processing on your print stream between the print driver and the printer port.

See: Disabling Advanced Print Features (http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/10/23/disabling-advanced-print-features.aspx)

In a nutshell you are no longer sending your print jobs in RAW format, you are sending your job in a semi-EMF format. In an effort to help you out on a $25 printer, MS causes problems on your $25,000 printer.

Laurent_H
12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Good point, I experienced the same, this is so true.

Thank you kmbs_dcd :)

l-