PDA

View Full Version : Creating an ICC profile for the Canon imagePRESS C1+

Robot818
11-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Hi, I have been trying to create an ICC profile for our imagePRESS and have been having many problems doing so. I am using the ECI2002R CMYK test chart along with Photoshop CS5 and ProfileMaker (with an i1i0). Upon analyzing the results, my ΔE's are all over the place. Is there any documentation out there on how to properly profile this device? We tried turning all ColorSync settings off and telling Photoshop to let printer manage the color. Unfortunately, we cannot afford a software package such as Color Profiler Suite. I can supply screenshots of my settings if that would help as well.

Lorenz2
11-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Hi there,

has been discussed before...

Take a look at:

http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php?t=1866

Cheers,

Lorenz

Lou_P
11-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Actually, there is more to it than the other post describes.

Use these instructions instead.

First, it is essential that you set "Let Photoshop Manage Colors". Setting "Let printer manage colors" can cause Photoshop (and other apps) to emit device Independent PostScript (CIEDEFG if you really want to know). This color model would be color managed by the printer and you will not get what you want which is prints of the profiling patches that have had Fiery calibration applied but have not been color managed.

Follow these steps:

1. Bring the ECI into Photoshop and make sure you do not assign it an ICC profile when you open it.

2. Either print from Photoshop setting "Let Photoshop Manage Colors"

OR (better)

save the ECI TIF file from Photoshop unchecking the box to embed an ICC profile. You can check your work by re-opening this version in Photoshop to see if you get prompted about a missing profile and/or to see if the Assign Profile dialog from the Edit menu says "Don't Color Manage this Document". Now drag this into the hold queue in Command workstation. You can leave the TIF here for future profiling work.

3. Double click the job in the hold queue if you dragged it in or in the Printed queue if you just printed from Photoshop (throw away that print if you did, we need to check the settings before you'll have good prints).

4. On the color tab, expert settings, set CMYK Source / simulation profile to "None". Do not set "Colorwise Off", this would turn off the calibration you just did.

5. On the Image tab select the halftone you will be using the profile with.

6. On the Owner Information tab specify 10 copies.

7. Click Ok (not "Print") to close the job properties and save them with the TIF in the hold queue.

8. Turn the printer off and back on to force internal calibration. Then perform a shading correction from the user guide.

9. From Job Center in Command workstation, click on calibrate. Calibrate on a plain paper, ideally 28# Hammermill which the system may request.

The print settings for the calibration should use the image halftone you plan to profile and use.

Print 10 copies of the calibration and measure the 10th print to get the print engine warmed up.

Use the EyeOne without the IO for calibration. Remember to put 5 sheets of the paper you print the calibration on behind the printed sheet to be measured to eliminate showthrough.

9. After saving calibration, right click (option click on Mac) on the ECI TIFF in the hold queue and select "Print and Hold".

10. Take the 8th and 10th printed sets and set aside.

11. Measure the two sets, compare for ∆E and if they are close enough average the measurements and make a profile from this average.

Remember that on production print engines ∆E's may vary 5 -10 -15 points between prints, that's why we measure twice and average. This kind of variation happens on many conventional presses as well so don't worry about it too much.

Robot818
11-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the instructions! I will try these out tomorrow and let you know our results.

djzolla
03-03-2011, 03:23 AM
The work I have done using an ImagePress C1 and an Oris was a complete nightmare. After running through an analysis of ten Fogra bars the line for each colour jumps all over the place. One minute it passes ISO validation for copiers the next it is sky high. This printer is a flop for consistency of colour. Although I understand the necessity for the creation of output profiles sometimes, it sometimes seems a bit worthless when dealing with a machine like this.

I have done extensive testing with the DC 252 and this device is 100% bang on for consistency of colour.

Paul

djzolla
03-03-2011, 03:30 AM
The work I have done using an ImagePress C1 and an Oris was a complete nightmare. After running through an analysis of ten Fogra bars the line for each colour jumps all over the place. One minute it passes ISO validation for copiers the next it is sky high. This printer is a flop for consistency of colour. Although I understand the necessity for the creation of output profiles sometimes, it sometimes seems a bit worthless when dealing with a machine like this.

I have done extensive testing with the DC 252 and this device is 100% bang on for consistency of colour.

Paul

shmegenke
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
If your imagePRESS C1 varies that wildly, I'd say it's time to really lean on your dealer to make it right.

Creating your own profiles is going to be an exercise in futility if the print engine itself is unstable.