PDA

View Full Version : efi es-1000 vs eye one

k_graham
11-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Do all EFI ES-1000 Spectrophotometer include the
EFI Color Profiler Suite and is that necessary to do the basic calibration on a Docucolor. It seems to be the only way you sell it in your on line store.

Or can one simply use the GretagMacbeth Eye-One spectro for the basic color calibration.

For the basic calibration how does the Spectro compare to the DTP31. That is if using the papers already profiled by Xerox. The DTP31 runs the sample through via a wheel mechanism - looks like the Spectro might require measurement of each individual patch which would seem tedious.

Thanks,

Ken

thistlegorm
11-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Hi Ken,

Do all EFI ES-1000 Spectrophotometer include the
EFI Color Profiler Suite and is that necessary to do the basic calibration on a Docucolor.

No, you can get the Spectro on its own. If you purchase Colour Profiler Suite on top of that it will use the ES1000 as a dongle. You marry up the licence string you get with the software to the six digit code on the base of the ES1000.

Also it depends on what product you purchased as well, e.g: if you had purchased an EX1000 this would come with an ES1000 & Colour Profiler Suite as standard. On the EXP252 you normally get the ES1000 if you purchase the Graphic Arts Package ( might be different in Canada? ).

Or can one simply use the GretagMacbeth Eye-One spectro for the basic color calibration.

When you open the Calibration gui - you can choose which device to use from the pull down - typically if the ES1000 is plugged in it will default to that - I have never tried an Eye1 plugged into a Fiery - but I am guessing it wont work.

For the basic calibration how does the Spectro compare to the DTP31.

Do you mean the DTP32 Densiometer ( Square Box that came with a DC12 ) ?

Not sure there is a comparison to be made - as you know the Spectro measures reflected light - the Densiometer measures the density of toner on a sheet of paper.

The DTP31 runs the sample through via a wheel mechanism - looks like the Spectro might require measurement of each individual patch which would seem tedious.

Calibrating using the ES1000 is a piece of cake & is very quick - much faster than the old days of feeding strips through the Densiometer + it is more accurate. You simply "swipe" the 21 or 34 sorted patches at a uniform speed.

The only tedious bit is when you are profiling ( using Colour Profiler Suite ) & you have to scan in 9 pages of patches ( approx 1284 ) - but I don't often get asked to do that..:)

Hope that helps...

hollingb
11-10-2010, 08:03 AM
The Eye-One works fine for basic calibration-just select "ES-1000" in the Calibrator "Select Measurement Devive" dropdown menu.

djzolla
01-31-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi there

I am interested in whether EFI create their output profiles using a Spectro with or without a UV Cut filter.

Does anybody know? As i realise it is fine to calibrate using a standard i1 if the profiles were created using a UV Cut filter surely you would see variances if calibrating without one?

Paul

Paul_M
01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
To create the default Fiery output profiles, EFI use an ES-1000 with UV filter.
It is recommended to work in close loop, i.e. to both profile and calibrate with the same type of instrument. If you create your own calibrations and profiles, filter or not filter, both are OK. Differences are not always visible; it depends on the paper you are printing on and the way it interacts with the printer specific toners.

For more on what is the difference between the UV and Non-UV Version of the ES-1000, see: http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php?t=840

djzolla
02-04-2011, 01:53 AM
cheers for the response