PDA

View Full Version : Fiery EX700 (XP Pro FES) v1.5

JENeumann54
10-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Does anyone known if the Fiery EX700 (XP Pro FES) v1.5 supports the Generic Windows XP Service Pack3? Windows Updates is enable and a message pops up in the system tray indicating updates are available, however, when I try to install the updates, I receive an error message "You do not have enough free disk space on the D:\ to install Service Pack in the D:\ drive. Will EFI "System Updates" install Windows Service Packk 3? If not, what files can be deleted so XP SP3 will install? Or, is SP3 not supported on the EFI XP Pro FES systems?

thistlegorm
10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
In short the answer is yes it does work.

With XP Pro FES the OS updates come directly from Microsoft - hence why you do not see OS patches when you do a EFI system update. This is different from the V 1.0 software.

Are using the D: to store a lot of archive jobs ? as you should have loads of space on your D: partition. A correctly loaded system should have 3 sometimes 4 partitions C: D: E: (sometimes K ) .

Windows is loaded on D: & the EFI stuff on E:

Problems you normally see are people storing too much on the Desktop which fills up the C: partition (which is normally only about 4 gig) & the temp directory both Windows & userprofile fill up (especially if you do lots of imposition) - normally best practice to create a temp directory on the E: drive & change the temp path in Environment Variables.

Word of caution if you do load SP3 - by default the Windows Firewall is disabled by EFI - with SP3 loaded it automatically switches it back on & typically this then stops the RIP accepting new print jobs. Also will load IE8 which is a pain anyway.

In the course of my job, if I reload / upgrade an EX700 I would normally disable the auto updates unless there is a pressing need to do it.

There is a lot to be said for "if it ain't broken - don't fix it" :rolleyes: