PDA

View Full Version : Slow processing Xerox DP700 with bustled rip

BigBadBazza
10-13-2010, 09:29 AM
We have a customer printing PDF's which contain a lot of colour images and they are taking over 30 minutes to process and print. (52 pages)
They are using MAC OSX 10.5 or above. The newest MAC spools the data in around 2 minutes whereas the others take approx 20 minutes to spool.
What is consistent is the time taken to process and print at over 30 minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the delay?

adam1991
10-15-2010, 05:39 AM
This isn't slow processing on the Fiery, it's slow spooling on/from the Mac.

To test this, submit the PDF directly to the Fiery using its web submission tool, and see that the processing time itself is quite short.

BigBadBazza
10-15-2010, 08:53 AM
The time taken to spool the file has not been included in the figures given, this is purely the time taken to process the file. If you add the spool time in it would be an extra 20 minutes, this can be confirmed via CWS.
We had previously also done as per your suggestion.

adam1991
10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
in which case I'm confused. You have a PDF; you can print it, or you can drop it directly onto the Fiery.

Are you saying that those create different RIP/print times, or the same? I would have to imagine different.

Now: if you print from this Mac, it creates long RIP/print times on the Fiery, correct? So try this: when printing from this Mac, save it to a Postscript file. Do the same on a Mac that works. Compare the two. What do you get?

BigBadBazza
10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Adam
Thanks for your interest.
We have now resolved the problem and all it took was an extra stick of 512RAM.
The performance hike is amazing:)

Johnny Larrabee
11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I've noticed when printing from zip files rather than pdf's(in vairiable data jobs), the zip file process time on the Fiery is conciderably shorter. Just something else to try.