PDA

View Full Version : Are there PDL guides available for Fiery System 8 machines?

Printerdrone
10-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I do EX4112/4127 support for Xerox. We have been trying to get a hold of a PDL reference guide for the Fiery but our Engineering team is telling us we cannot get one as they are saying “Unfortunately EFI is unable to disclose this documentation”.

I don’t see how this would be information that cannot be disclosed as it is just the commands used to tell the RIP what to do. While we could simply take it all from the PPD or a “print to file”, we would like to have actual official documentation.

Is there a list of Postscript commands the Fiery needs to do finishing, ie. Hole-punch, Booklet etc?

If it is protected information, please just tell us and we will try to work around the issue. If it is available could you please send me a copy or provide a link?

All we need are the commands to send the Fiery to print a job without a driver, Like for use with an AS400 for example.

adam1991
10-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Your EFI reps should be able to help with this, I'd think.

Printerdrone
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
According to our guys who deal with EFI, they say that EFI says the PS commands to set the job properties are closed and will not be disclosed. The problem with this statement is that we can get those commands by doing "print to file" and taking them out of the job quite simply. I just want a PDF with a list of commands instead of doing every single job this customer will someday print and typing out a document. So I emailed EFI support and they said I should be able to get help on the support site. I went to their link and got here. I posted a simple question and not a single person from EFI bothered to say whether or not I could get them so far in 6 days. I can't call them because I'm not an "Authorized Representitive", I'm just the guy who actually supports the hardware and software. Google gave me nothing, and EFI won't help my by email or here, or on the phone. Seems due to corporate paper-pushers I have to tell the customer to return the Fiery and go with either a Freeflow or a Creo since they both supply their PS info with the machine and on their web-support sites.:mad:

Craig M
10-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I did post a personal reply to you the other day. I will check into this and get back to you.

Printerdrone
10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I did post a personal reply to you the other day. I will check into this and get back to you.

Sorry Craig, I didn't see the PM from yesterday. I responded to it just now.

el_tren2003
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
All we need are the commands to send the Fiery to print a job without a driver, Like for use with an AS400 for example.

A very interesting topic!

MC.Lourenco