PDA

View Full Version : Spot Color substitution and CWS

aoo__
10-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Hello,
Exactly what is required to allow spot color (pantone) substitution to be done via CWS 5 on a GA-1310?
I can't seem to get the calibration to work.
The printer allows two calibrations - one for 600dpi and the other 1200dpi.
After multiple calibrations, depending on the chosen calibration profile - the printer still outputs two obviously different colors for some pantone colors.
And, neither matches the true pantone color in the purchased swatch.

In any case, since I can see the color I want via the printed swatch, I'd just want to do the substitution on the printer instead of editing nearly 2000 EPS files and Indesign documents.

It seems that "Graphic Arts Package" does what I want, but all I've seen are references to "Graphic Arts Package Premium Edition", "SpotOn" and "ColorWise Pro".

I already have ColorWise Pro installed, but the "Spot color" option is not enabled in CWS.

Can someone let me know exactly which of these products are needed and why?
TIA.
Andrew

Bruce_W
10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Hello Andrew,

Spot On is the installable option you are looking for. It will allow you to do everything you've described and more.

You should be able to obtain the Spot On option from your authorized reseller.

Best regards,
Bruce

aoo__
10-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply.

However, my dealer does not even know what I'm trying to do is possible.

Straight forward question - If I purchase "Graphic Arts Package, Premium Edition" from your on-line store, will I get this functionality enabled in CW5?

Bruce_W
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Andrew,

No, GA Premium is not an installable option for your controller. Here are the installable options for the GA-1310.

- Spot On
- Hot Folders/Virtual Printers
- Auto Trap
- Secure Erase

As mentioned the Spot On option is all you would need to modify and match your spot colors.

Best regards,
Bruce

aoo__
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi Bruce,

Sorry to be persistent, but please see the attached file.
According to the file, FGAPPE is an option for my controller. (page 4 of the file)

I'm a having some other issues with this printer and would like to get the following options enabled also:
Preflight
Postflight
Halftone control for text and images.
Paper whitepoint control.

AFAIK, FGAPPE will give me all of the above.

Also, since I'm using a CWS based workflow, I assume I'll have to have the dongle on the "client" PC and not on the controller.

Thanks,
Andrew

Bruce_W
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Andrew,

No problem, I can see the matrix you're looking at could be misinterpreted or confusing.

You are correct in saying Spot On (v2 with substitute colors) Postflight and Preflight are part of the GA Premium Edition. GA Premium edition is not an option for all Fiery controllers however.

The matrix is also correct stating Spot On is an optional component. If Spot On is enabled, it enables Spot On (v2 with substitute colors) the same feature found in GA Premium. The matrix isn't stating GA Premium is an option, only that Spot On V2, a GA Premium feature, is enabled with the Spot On option.

Spot on is enabled on the controller and then it can be used from any client PC or Mac.

Best regards,
Bruce

aoo__
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm totally confused now.

First, are you saying Preflight, Postflight and Halftone control for text, etc are not available for the GA-1310?

Secondly, what about the Impose option?
Does it work the same way? - i.e. it's an option to be enabled for the RIP and not on the client?
I have a dongle used on a client that connected to previous RIP we'd used.
Can this dongle be used with CWS connecting to a GA-1310?

Bruce_W
10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi Andrew,

It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone to discuss these options. I hope all of your questions are now answered but if not please let us know.

Best regards,
Bruce