PDA

View Full Version : non-standard client-designated colors

unhinged17
10-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Hello,

I have a project that I need to run on CW5/Fiery/Xerox 700 that includes 4 colors designated with CMYK values by the client, but they don't correspond at all to any standard Pantone colors. The only way I have to check how they should look is by comparing them to a similar previous production piece we did for them. I have no problem adjusting spot colors in CW5, but how do I adjust these totally new colors? I calibrated the machine this morning, but proofs are coming out too magenta and yellow. The art was sent to me via QuarkXpress converted into a hi-res pdf, which I imported and imposed into CW5.

Thanks!

Lou_P
10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Are these named colors (plates) in the PDF or just part of the CMYK? If they are plates you can add spot colors with corresponding names and edit the values there. If the colors are part of the overall job CMYK you will need to make edits with curves for the job. This can be done in Imageviewer, available in the right-click CWS menu if you have the Graphic Arts 2 package.

If you do not, then edit the output profile. First go to color settings to see which output profile is being used. The in Device Center -> Resources -> Profiles select that output profile and click Edit at the right. In the next screen you can edit the CMYK curves that effect the color after it come out of the output profile.

Remember to go set all the curves back to their defaults after you finish!

manyfaces
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Can you use substitute colors and an ES-1000 to read the values from what you're trying to match?