PDA

View Full Version : Folding and Stapling with mail merge

store5820
09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
I have have been unsuccessful using mail merge and having the fiery fold and staple the document, that is if I send more than one record, it folds staples all the records together, more than 15 sheets, it just does even fold or staple.
Any Suggestions?

Steve0
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Mail merge, as in Microsoft Word mail merge?

Have you tried Fiery FreeForm? Or any one of a number of database-driven variable data packages?

manyfaces
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
You're going to need something (such as FreeForm) on the Fiery side to tell it how many pages are in each record. Otherwise you're (essentially) just sending a single massive document to the Fiery.

Bob_B
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Some Fierys will also have the option to define record length. This allows you to manage a multi page file as if it were a VDP file. For example, if you have a 20 page PostScript file and defined the record length to be 2 pages, the Fiery would treat every two pages as if they were a record and finish them independently.

Check the VDP tab in Job Properties for your Fiery to see if it includes the Define Record Length option. If it does not, you will have to rely on Free Form or a VDP application as previously mentioned.

store5820
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Just found out from Xerox, that my Fiery model cannot define record length, and that I need the software to do that. I guess the next model up can do this. Looked into software solutions, it might be better to upgrade the the machine and fiery.

z1300
09-22-2010, 01:47 AM
try using mixed media & chapter starts

This may work

thistlegorm
09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Z1300,

Not sure I follow your logic ? how does adding a chapter start into the job tell the fiery to effectively "subset" finish...? or as in the previous posts "define the record length"..

Store 5820,

By all means purchase another machine / Fiery.. however you will still need an application in order to generate the "variable" element of your job - Words Mail Merge simply will not cut it. There are any number of proprietary software packages that will achieve this:

PlanetPress Suite,
Printshop Mail,
Adobe Indesign
PReS
Or if you are really serious about variable data - get Indesign with XMPIE add in which just takes variable data printing into another universe...

To name a few - there are more..

z1300
10-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Go to Mixed Media, Define.

In the "Chapter Start Page (s)" area define the page number where the record starts. eg 1,3,5,7 etc

Check the box "Define Each Chapter As A Separate Finishing Set"

Select OK

In Finishing select Staple top Left.

Pages 1/2 3/4 5/6 are output stapled together.