PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Impose and Corel Exported .pdf's

ASEPrint
07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi, question here for anyone who feels adventurous.

Our print shop is running Corel Draw X3
Fiery System 2.0
Command Workstation 4.6.0.34

and a Xerox DC260

Our normal work flow has us exporting to .pdf from Indesign CS3 and Corel X3. We then impose with fiery impose through CWS. Things run very smooth except when we impose our .pdfs published from Corel. These files are moving out of position after being imposed.

For Example
1) In Corel, we make a 3.5x2 business card with bleed = 3.75x2.25
2) We publish to .pdf using the default .pdf for Prepress preset.
3) We throw that file through a hotfolder (which we know works fine)
4) Once it's on workstation, we use fiery impose and one of our BC templates to layout the card 18 up with bleeds gutters and crops etc...
5) Everything looks fine in the preview
6) when we print a page though, the crops are where they're supposed to be 'but' the artwork has shifted up and right by 1/8" in both directions.

The weird thing is that the issue is solely a Corel issue. If we do the same procedures exporting a .pdf from any other program the impose works perfectly.

And the other odd thing is, as a work around to our problem, we will take that corrupted corel .pdf and place it into an indesign document and then export that as a pdf and the issue is resoled.... What I mean is a corel .pdf won't impose correctly in fiery... but a corel .pdf re-pdf'd by indesign works great?????

And ideas or suggestion on this one??

I've attached a .pdf example of the issue described above, the black outline represents the card boundaries and the pink line represents where it should be if were being imposed properly.

Thanks!

k_graham
07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi, question here for anyone who feels adventurous.

Our print shop is running Corel Draw X3
Fiery System 2.0
Command Workstation 4.6.0.34

and a Xerox DC260

Our normal work flow has us exporting to .pdf from Indesign CS3 and Corel X3. We then impose with fiery impose through CWS. Things run very smooth except when we impose our .pdfs published from Corel. These files are moving out of position after being imposed.

For Example
1) In Corel, we make a 3.5x2 business card with bleed = 3.75x2.25
2) We publish to .pdf using the default .pdf for Prepress preset.
3) We throw that file through a hotfolder (which we know works fine)
4) Once it's on workstation, we use fiery impose and one of our BC templates to layout the card 18 up with bleeds gutters and crops etc...
5) Everything looks fine in the preview
6) when we print a page though, the crops are where they're supposed to be 'but' the artwork has shifted up and right by 1/8" in both directions.

The weird thing is that the issue is solely a Corel issue. If we do the same procedures exporting a .pdf from any other program the impose works perfectly.

And the other odd thing is, as a work around to our problem, we will take that corrupted corel .pdf and place it into an indesign document and then export that as a pdf and the issue is resoled.... What I mean is a corel .pdf won't impose correctly in fiery... but a corel .pdf re-pdf'd by indesign works great?????

And ideas or suggestion on this one??

Thanks!

Personally I would use the imposition built into Corel and send the file native, you can save a template in Corel to automate it. We do ours 20 up using Corel but 2.125 spacing instead..

You could try printing to PDF instead of saving a PDF?
Have you installed the X3 Service Pack(s).

Ken

ASEPrint
07-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi Ken, thanks for the quick reply,

Yes SP3 is installed

We have printed to .pdf in the past but have found it glitchy some times in our environment for importing into indesign so we've kind of stayed away from it and just use Corel's native .publish to .pdf.

We definitely do use Corel's impose quite a bit and have templates made.

I guess we are trying to just streamline everything through hotfolders, just a personal preference.

Thanks!

I realize this issue I originally posted may be uncommon and our problem may be just local to our network rather than it being an issue found in many print shops.

Cheers

Bob_B
07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I will guess that the Trim Box of the PDF file from Corel Draw starts at 0, 0 and the Media Box and Crop Box start at -.125, -.125. Impose will use the Crop Box dimension to define the slot size for one page on the sheet, which in this case would be 3.75 x 2.25. When your Fiery processes the job, it is seeing the lower left corner of the slot as 0, 0 and aligning the content of the PDF file accordingly.

One option you could try would be to create a Pitstop action that would change the starting coordinates of the Media Box and Crop Box to 0, 0 and the Trim box to .125, .125. Then adjust the content accordingly. When the action is created, you could just open the PDF file, apply the action and then save the modified file which could then be dropped into the Hot Folder.

ASEPrint
08-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks Bob, will try solution!

I appreciate the feedback

k_graham
08-03-2010, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=ASEPrint]Hi Ken, thanks for the quick reply,

Yes SP3 is installed

Cheers[/QUOTE,

I was referring to the Corel Service Packs - I am on Holidays so can't provide the revision # sorry.

Ken

ASEPrint
09-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the input for the people who replied, we found a solution after many attempts.

Use publish to .pdf via corel but take off the bleed that the prepress setting gives you and you end up with an outputted .pdf 3.5x2.

Then we used acrobat to expand the .pdf to 3.75x2.25 and that fixes everything, now when we use that .pdf with fiery impose it works well!

Thanks again, hopefully this is useful for someone else
ASE Team