PDA

View Full Version : Dongle net detected

John_1r3
07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
We just got a xerox 700 color press and a 4112 black and white installed to replace our printshop. We installed one CWS5 on one XP computer with a dongle. I noticed we had an extra dongle so I installed CWS on my computer with the dongle. When I try to preview a print job it freezes up and says the dongle is not detected. The dongle drivers are installed I have a solid red light on the dongle. I have tried it in several usb ports with no luck. any help would be appreciated
Thanks

thistlegorm
07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi John,

Couple of things spring to mind. Normally with an EX700 it is normally delivered with an Impose or Compose Kit or both. The way to tell which dongle you have, is to look at the little white label that is attached too it. It will simply say Impose or Compose.

If you have loaded CWS 5 on your PC - you will be able to preview PDF jobs on the Fiery without any Dongle - this is new for CWS 5.

If the Dongle is an Impose one then it will have had in its kit an Acrobat 8 / Pitstop DVD. This is normally loaded onto the Fiery itself with the dongle. Obviously the Fierys architecture is designed to RIP / Manipulate Large colour files considerably better than an office PC.

Is your Fiery a bustled one i.e a box that sits on the back of the DC700 or is it a Standalone Fiery with or without keyboard / Monitor etc ?

From what you describe it sounds as if the disk hasn't been loaded on the Fiery. As you don't need a dongle in the back of your office PC to preview a job. You would only need the dongle if you were to impose a job actually on your PC.

I would take the dongle out of the back of your PC. Do File Import to the Hold Q & find a pdf & preview it - if CWS 5 is working correctly the preview will open - I know because I did it this morning on a Fiery EX1000 with Acrobat 9 not loaded & lt previewed ok.

In order to impose / compose / edit then the Acrobat / Pitstop disk is required as it is Pitstop that does all the hard work. If you right click a job & go impose it should bring up (if you are on your PC ) the SeeQuence Window if Acrobat is loaded on the Fiery - the dongle is only required to get rid of the Demo watermark.

Let us know which Fiery you have & I will be able to tell you exactly how to set it up..

PS. If your Green USB Dongle does not have a label attached to it by a black thread - then it might be a Fiery Option Dongle ( normally graphics art kit ) these are one shot on the Fiery once used - thats it..

PPS. Did you not have your machines installed by a Xerox Analyst ? as this is exactly what we do on an install..

John_1r3
07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
We have two machines with PC's attached to each(no keyboards or monitors) They are accessed from another machine that has the command work station 5.1.1.04. Fiery version? The one computer attached to the EX4112 is running XP with Command work station 4.7.0.26 The other that is attached to the EX700 is running XP with Command work station 4.7.0.29
The main work station computer that send jobs to the computers attached to the xerox machines has a dongle connected to it. I would guess it is the impose because I have the compose one here at my desk.

Attached is the error I am getting

Thanks for you help I am new to the copiers I am just an old Printer that is tring to roll with the technology and the changing times. I don't really get this error what process is using the file?

Thanks
John R

thistlegorm
07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi John,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier.

I think we need to check a few things first on the Fiery. If you have to hand a USB mouse & Keyboard + a vga monitor this will be real easy. Connect as you would to a PC - you shouldn't have to reboot it should see these as they are connected if they don't - then reboot with everything connected.

If you are prompted for a Windows login it will be Administrator & Fiery.1 (this is case sensitive ). On the assumption the mouse / keyboard / monitor are working you should be able to navigate around CWS - it will look different to what you are used to as it will be Ver 4.

Find your Indesign Job & right click on it & go impose ( again it will look different but you should be able to impose the file ).

My suspicion is that Acrobat / Pitstop has not been loaded on the Fiery.

If you don't have access to the hardware you can also Remote desk top into the Fiery by typing mstsc into the run box, when the Remote Services Window opens click on the Options Tab to fully open the Window then from the top enter the IP address of the Fiery then User = Administrator & Fiery.1 in the password box. Click connect, if successful you should be able to see all of the above on you desktop PC.

Either way let me know whether you have any success with just imposing the File on the Fiery. Then perhaps I can suggest next steps..

Cheers

Kev

PS. RE Private Message - feel free to ask any question..

John_1r3
07-30-2010, 08:28 AM
I can remote in to both the ex4112 and the ex700 when I look at the add and remove programs niether one has acrobat or pitstop installed. Should these programs be installed on both machines?

I just remoted in and tried to bring up an innd file and it verified that acrobat was not installed.

Thanks for your help

John_1r3
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok I installed acrobat / pitstop CWS5 seems to be working ok on the remote computer but when I remote in to the fiery and try to preview a page get a notification that the License verification has failed?

thistlegorm
07-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi John,

First things first - just to make sure there are no crossed wires all I will be talking about is the EX700 - nothing else for now !

OK - since you can remote into the EX700 do that & then go into Start => Programs & see whether Acrobat 8.0 is in there ( from what you have said it wont be.. just want to make doubly sure.)

When you received the Impose or Compose Dongle - they would have turned up in a 8.5 x 11 Pack with a load of unneeded paperwork + a card envelope containing the dongle & a DVD with Acrobat 8.0 + Pitstop 6.0 ( could be 7 - but you will appreciate this is from memory ). Place that disk into the EX700 DVD drive - it should autostart- but it may take a while - if it doesn't navigate to the dvd drive & start it.

It should prove idiot proof - however makesure the Acrobat & Pitstop are selected to install & close down CWS.

After a few minutes it should have installed - there should be an Acrobat 8 icon on the desktop + you should be able to go back to Start => Programs => & see Acrobat 8 + Distiller 8.

At this point open Acrobat 8 & agree with the licence but say no to whether you wish to register - you'll then see the the normal Acrobat splash screen make sure to tick the check box in the top right hand corner - i.e you don't want to see it again.

At this point if you select your Indesign job it should start to impose albeit with demo through it - this is where the dongle comes in. You do not actually need it to impose / compose. You only need it when you want to sell it to someone without having demo through it...

Take the dongle from your remote PC & stick in the rear of the Fiery - you should see in the system tray HASP being installed - now when you impose the demo should be gone.

If you look also into Distiller 8.0 you will also see in the pulldown a setting for FieryOptimized2 this is a very good sign that every thing has loaded correctly.

If however you get the License Verification Failed Dialog Box as you have shown this is not so good.

Can you let me know that all is ok with the Fiery - remember all I have spoken about is to do with EX700 - that is all we are trying to fix at present.

Also when replying can you let me know the system version of the Fiery - in fact better still on your remote pc with CWS 5 loaded can you connect to the 700 & then enter Resource Center then the system configuration tab - this will allow you to save the configuration page as a pdf & post it on here - I can then tell what configuration & which patch level we are at..

Let me know how you get on..

Kev

John_1r3
07-30-2010, 07:36 PM
On the ex700 only
Acrobat and pitstop are installed and they look as if they are installed ok
Distiller 8.0 I see in the pulldown a setting for FieryOptimized2
I thought that maybe it was I needed to accept the acrobat agreement so I did
License Verification Failed Dialog Box is still coming up when I try to preview Reboot maybe! I haven't done this since I have accepted the agreement
I am Logged on to the fiery via a remote session.
Here is the setup from the CWS 5 on the remote machine that you adked for

Thanks for your help

thistlegorm
08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi John,

This is intruiging & I have seen this before( However when I have seen this Acrobat itself does not open up ).

Perhaps we should try something really rudimentary. Reboot the Fiery server when it is all up & running Remote Desktop into it - minimise the CWS & on the desktop right click - new - rtf document. Write something like test or what ever & then File Print to Adobe PDF Printer, hopefully Acrobat will open up with your pdf you have just created. Does this happen ? or does it ask for a licence ? assuming you now have an open pdf save this as test.pdf to the desktop. Open CWS & File import the test.pdf to the hold q. If you right click the test pdf & select impose do you still get the license verification message ?

Also I notice from your config sheet one of the Domain boxes has been populated ? when you remote into your machine are you using Administrator & Fiery.1 & logging in Workgroup or are you logging in with a Domain User ? I only ask as that Domain User would need to be added to the Fiery's Local Administrator group - Impose especially requires full rights on the Fiery to work.

One of the problems I have found is that the Acrobat 8.0 DVD that is supplied with the Impose / Compose Dongle has its license embedded in it.
When I have seen that message on machines & then contact Adobe quoting the serial number we are then informed that it is currently registered in India or some such place. Which can be really frustrating...

The only way I have found of restoring the link is to do a full reload..(you could try uninstalling Acrobat 8 & reinstalling it - it has never worked for me ) if you disconnect the network cables & just load the OS Disk - then the System Software & then the Acrobat 8 / Pitstop DVD with no patches & no outside interference, a base level if you like & then repeat the above it should work ? should it not ?

If you can get hold of a monitor + usb keyboard / mouse connect it all to the Fiery - turn off the DC700 & disconnect both Network cables & try the above this should prove the issue..

Let me know how you get on

John_1r3
08-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi John,

This is intruiging & I have seen this before( However when I have seen this Acrobat itself does not open up ).

Perhaps we should try something really rudimentary. Reboot the Fiery server when it is all up & running Remote Desktop into it - minimise the CWS & on the desktop right click - new - rtf document. Write something like test or what ever & then File Print to Adobe PDF Printer, hopefully Acrobat will open up with your pdf you have just created. Does this happen ?
Yes I rebooted the fiery and was able to do all of this no problem it is now open in acrobat.
or does it ask for a licence ?
No it is not asking for a licence.
assuming you now have an open pdf save this as test.pdf to the desktop. Open CWS & File import the test.pdf to the hold q. If you right click the test pdf & select impose do you still get the license verification message ?

No it looks fine

Also I notice from your config sheet one of the Domain boxes has been populated ? when you remote into your machine are you using Administrator & Fiery.1 & logging in Workgroup or are you logging in with a Domain User ?

We have the fiery hanging off the domain as a workgroup so we are logging on as the local administrator & Fiery.1

I only ask as that Domain User would need to be added to the Fiery's Local Administrator group - Impose especially requires full rights on the Fiery to work.

One of the problems I have found is that the Acrobat 8.0 DVD that is supplied with the Impose / Compose Dongle has its license embedded in it.
When I have seen that message on machines & then contact Adobe quoting the serial number we are then informed that it is currently registered in India or some such place. Which can be really frustrating...

The only way I have found of restoring the link is to do a full reload..(you could try uninstalling Acrobat 8 & reinstalling it - it has never worked for me ) if you disconnect the network cables & just load the OS Disk - then the System Software & then the Acrobat 8 / Pitstop DVD with no patches & no outside interference, a base level if you like & then repeat the above it should work ? should it not ?

Yes I would think but do you think I need to reload the OS?

If you can get hold of a monitor + usb keyboard / mouse connect it all to the Fiery - turn off the DC700 & disconnect both Network cables & try the above this should prove the issue..

Let me know how you get on

John_1r3
08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
I think rebooting the firey did it. It doesn't seem like I am getting any of the error messages that I was getting. Or maybe I have been trained a little more.

I thank you for your help and time it is much appreciated!

thistlegorm
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi John,

No worries, glad it is sorted - obviously a "note to self" ( myself included ) always reboot then try..

Any other problems feel free to ask..

Cheers

Kev