PDA

View Full Version : count b/w / color pages without printing

oxident
07-13-2010, 01:31 AM
It would be a great thing if it would be possible to see the number of color pages without printing the job (maybe after RIP'ing a job in the hold queue).

As the current Fiery servers often print b/w or greyscale pages in color such a feature would help us trying several ColorWise options in order to get a correct result.

At the moment we always have to print a page, check the protocol, re-print it and so on until a b/w page gets properly counted as b/w.

Craig
07-13-2010, 04:35 AM
That would be a great option. You can always check a PDF in Acrobat, if there are B/W Pages the Output Preview will let you know. I have found the biggest culprit are trim/registration marks.

oxident
07-13-2010, 06:13 AM
You can always check a PDF in Acrobat, if there are B/W Pages the Output Preview will let you know. I have found the biggest culprit are trim/registration marks.

Not really. Even if the output preview function shows values like 100%K and no other color, the printer sometimes still uses all colour plates for pure text.

Anyway, when talking about big documents, you wouldn't want to check every single page, would you? :p

Karen_K
07-13-2010, 10:27 AM
EFI does have a feature request under review to show the document pages as color or b/w in SeeQuence Suite.

Craig
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I guess that would be a bit tedious! :eek:

adam1991
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
um, doesn't job log have headers for b/w and color pages?

Is that RIPd, or only printed?

sbyprint
07-14-2010, 05:56 AM
That would be fantastic, this is what we do as a workaround:

WARNING, DUPLICATE YOUR FILE FIRST, AS THIS WILL LEAVE YOU WITH A DOCUMENT THAT IS ONLY GOOD FOR GETTING A PAGE COUNT!!

This is done using Acrobat 9 Professional and PitStop 8 rev03. Other versions may have different settings.

1. Apply PitStop Action, "Remove Black from Document"
(This was a custom action that we made by selecting the colorspace for device grayscale, calibrated grayscale, Fill color of 0/0/0/100, RGB Fill color of 0/0/0, and fill color of gray than removing it.)

2. In Acrobat go to Advanced>Preflight

3. Click on Wrench (to select single fix ups) > under pages, select, "remove empty pages" and click fix.

4. Now you have a document w/ just color, no black.

Hopefully this helps

Joel Weinstein
Southbury Printing Centre, Inc.

(2) Canon 7095's
(1) Ricoh C900S

oxident
07-16-2010, 01:57 AM
um, doesn't job log have headers for b/w and color pages?

Is that RIPd, or only printed?
Unfortunately, that's only printed.

EFI does have a feature request under review to show the document pages as color or b/w in SeeQuence Suite.
Just to make this clear: The SeeQuence Suite is an additional product/plug-in for the CWS which needs to bought separately, isn't it?

kmbs-dcd
07-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Although this is not a "paper free" solution, it is one I have used in cases where I could not figure out why a page that appeared for all the world as if it contained only black elements would click the color meter.

I created a custom output profile that flat-lined the black channel so that anything that used black toner would print at zero percent black, while the CMY channels would print normally. When I printed the document I found that somewhere before it came into my hands the PDF contained about a dozen magenta pixels on the page that had been covered with a large black solid. I was really glad that it was magenta pixels rather than yellow pixels, which I probably would not have seen on the printed page.