PDA

View Full Version : Fiery always deletes my last job

TomG
06-28-2010, 06:21 AM
This seems to be a bug on all Xerox DocuColor 242/252/260 machines with Fiery System 8 v2.0 system software.

Effect: Fiery deletes my last job after a reboot (or switch off/switch on procedure). I really mean the "youngest" job in the printed jobs queue.

Details: see PDF attached containing screenshots and notes.

Problem: often customers set up a job in the evening before they go home. Next morning they switch on the printer and want to produce the prepared job. But if they first print another job (or the start page is activated), the prepared job from yesterday is deleted.

To other Xerox Fiery users: Do you complain about the same bug?
To other Non-Xerox Fiery users: Do you complain about the same bug?
Are there any known solutions?

markdyck
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Hmmmm as a non-Xerox Fiery user, I've never encountered anything like that before. Have you tried printing to the Hold queue vs. Print queue to see if the behaviour might be different, just a thought?

TomG
06-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Yesterday I used the PostScript printer driver printing directly to the print queue.

Today, I tested the same with an import via Command WorkStation in the hold queue.

The result is the same.

This behaviour is new to me although I work with these machines for over 2.5 years now. Either this is a new bug that came with Fiery 2.0 system software or it just didn't matter to me in the past...

Please, would you test this on your non-Xerox Fiery? It takes about 10 minutes and 5 b/w printouts. Don't forget to limit the maximum number of stored jobs in the "printed jobs" queue.

Milo Wilson
06-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Is this a stand alone (EXP 260) or bustled? Have you updated all known patches on the controller? The new 2.0 was having some bug issues but I don't know the extent of what they were. Is the fiery a RoHS or nonRoHS?

markdyck
06-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Well gosh darn if the problem didn't duplicate itself on my 1107ex! I did exactly the same test as TomG and sure enough, the "youngest" job was removed from the printed queue. Sounds like it's not limited to just Xerox.

thistlegorm
06-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi All,

I am actually installing a DC252 with a Fiery in the morning - I will try this & feedback tomorrow evening - if I can replicate it I will escalate & try for a fix (Xerox Analyst).

TomG
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Is this a stand alone (EXP 260) or bustled? Have you updated all known patches on the controller? The new 2.0 was having some bug issues but I don't know the extent of what they were. Is the fiery a RoHS or nonRoHS?

It's a bustled Fiery. See attachment for the configuration printout with all the patches. I guess this should be a nonRoHS because it's very new.

TomG
07-05-2010, 12:47 AM
I will try this & feedback tomorrow evening - if I can replicate it I will escalate & try for a fix (Xerox Analyst).

Could you replicate it? What's the current state of your investigations? Thanks!

thistlegorm
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi TomG,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner - lots of installs - take up a lot of time.

I did indeed install a DC252 - however it was with an External EX260 which admittedly I upgraded to CWS 5.1.104 on the RIP - I did not try with the supplied software - apologies for this & also being a Non Bustled Machine the results probably would not have mattered.

Suffice to say with all of the above loaded I sent 3 jobs down - all fine sent a 4th & the oldest job was deleted - which presumably means it works ?
/?
The problem with Worldwide forums is that practices in one country often do not mirror what is happening in another ? I am continually surprised that problems expressed within the forum - if you are paying for a service contract from a vendor why are these issues not being fed back to the vendor ?

Also in the UK a bustled RIP is considered Office kit & so requires funding for Onsite Analyst Support.

To Answer Milo - unless you are getting 2nd hand bustles / RIPs all will now be ROHS - at least in Europe - cant speak for the US.

What I would ask is how are you communicating to the Bustle ? do you have CWS loaded on a client or are you Remote Desktopping In ? if you do have CWS loaded on a client which version is it ?

If you can give me a little more detail I might be able to help further...

Cheers

Kev

TomG
07-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I did indeed install a DC252 - however it was with an External EX260 which admittedly I upgraded to CWS 5.1.104 on the RIP
I guess the CWS version doesn't matter. It's just a client graphical user interface that shows what's happening on the Fiery... The fact that you tested an EX260 and not a bustled one is still interesting, see below.

Suffice to say with all of the above loaded I sent 3 jobs down - all fine sent a 4th & the oldest job was deleted - which presumably means it works ?
No! As you can see in my PDF (above) the 4th job was fine. After the 4th job you need to reboot the Fiery and send a 5th job. This causes the "youngest" job being deleted.

TomG
10-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Today I tested this situation on a new Xerox Color 560 with external Fiery EX560 controller. The behaviour described above didn't come up with the new Fiery system 9 release, tested after 2 major patches and with CWS5.