PDA

View Full Version : My grays are pink

colourtools
04-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Just come back from calibrating and profiling a new system.

The machine was an Olivetti 350 (which is a Konica Minolta in disguise) with an on-board Fiery.

Went through all the normal procedures, but when I printed my standard test file, all grays below 15% came out in a vivid pink!.

Checked everything that I could think of and couldn't improve the result - even ran a diagnostic on the Eye-1 device.

In the end, I manually adjusted the magenta curve in the Color Editor.

Color flow was set up for RGB: Adobe RGB, CMYK: ISO, Spot Color: On, Rendering: Relative.

Any ideas?

Scott_W
04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
This Fiery is equivalent to IC-409 KM controller.

Is this a new install where "out of the box" the Fiery's colors are off?
Or had this system been OK as far as color, and then it just changed?

Please print Fiery's Configuration page and insure it is at latest system software release (v1.01). Also, on this page, make sure "1-W5C85" combo patch is installed

Of course, make sure the copier itself is optimized for correct color output.

It looks like you are calibrating using ES-1000.
- If calibrating from ColorCal instead, do you still see objectionable tint?
- If possible, if when you test ES-1000 device on another Fiery, does output look OK?
- Do you have a second ES-1000 to test/compare against on this Fiery?

SharonH
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi,
You say that you have calibrated and profiled your system so I would deduce that this is not an out of the box issue, it only occurred after you made changes.

You can separate out the issue between profiling and calibration by choosing one of the default profile and calibrating. If you get pinks with a default profile then it is the calibration, but if you only get pink when you create the profile then it is the profile.

I am also assuming you are making standard profiles and not device link profiles.

To me it does sound like a profile making issue.
Can you please indicate the particular profile making software version you are using and the version.

If you are using Color Profiler Suite, what does the profile data look like when you view it in Profile Inspector? It may be necessary to either re-print the patch page, or perhaps re-measure the patch page.

The other thing is possibly sounds like is that it is actually printing using absolute colorimetric instead of relative colorimetric. (hence the color shift).
Ensure that you turn off any paper matching options you have in the Fiery.

colourtools
04-28-2010, 06:13 AM
I am calibrating with an Eye-One Pro (equivalent to the ES-1000) using the ColorWise Pro Tools. The profile was created using X-Rite Eye-One Match 3. I have run the standard X-Rite diagnostic tools on the i1 which passed all tests.

I will check the version and patches and let you know.

I have just profiles another Fiery and that came out just fine. The profile I created on the 'problem' system did give some peculiar results when previewed in Photoshop, so I am inclined to think its a profiling problem, but this problem didn't re-occur on the system I profiled today.

you mentioned "Of course, make sure the copier itself is optimized for correct color output." What should I check for?

Regards

colourtools
04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
I profiled using Eye-One Match3, v3.6.3, and have since profiled another system with no problem. The profile is not a device link one. I also ran the Eye-One diagnostics to make sure the device was OK.

I re-calibrated and re-profiled twice and got the same results. Looking at the calibration curves after the calibration was complete, the thin line measure and max density seemed very high to me. Could this be part of the problem?

Also I can confirm the Color Setup was set for Relative not Absolute.

Regards

colourtools
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Just checked the Fiery configuration page.

It says :

EFI Fiery System 8e Release 2
Version 1.1

Patch 1-W5C85 is not installed. where can I get it?

Scott_W
04-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Your copier dealer can provide, and install that patch.
And at the same time they can run some color diagnostics on you copier to insure it is optiimized for best possible color output.

colourtools
05-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Checked with the dealer and Olivetti head office UK, and they don't seem to have heard of this patch or have any knowledge about it.

Do you have any other info on what this patch is supposed to do and where we can get hold of it

Scott_W
05-04-2010, 07:16 AM
In an earlier post I was incorrect when I stated your Fiery was equivalent to KM IC-409. By the additional info that you provided from Fiery's Config page, I can confirm your Fiery is a KM IC-412.
The combo patch I mentioned before is not compatible with your Fiery.

I did check to see if any of the released patches for your Fiery would resolve any color issues. There are none.

colourtools
05-17-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I'm trying to profile a colour copier with a IC-412. I have been doing this successfully for years, but now I'm getting strange results.

Firstly, I am going into ColorWise Pro Tools, and Color Setup. I change the RGB and CMYK input profiles to NONE and make sure that 'Print gray using black only' for both RGB and CMYK are set to NONE.

Spot color is turned off and Black text/graphics is set to NORMAL.

This is applied and then I am running the Calibration. The measured curve looks pretty normal and density values are just below max density values.

I am then loading X-Rite Eye-One Match 3 to create a profile. I print out the chart for measurement and in Color Matching it gives me two options - ColorSync or Printer Color Management. I have tried both.

After the profile is created, I am loading the profile into Photoshop and using the View-Custom options to view the result of the profile.

All the profiles I have created in the past are great, but viewing the ones I have created in the last couple of weeks, the greys are turning pink/brown.

Any ideas?