PDA

View Full Version : Small, screened text appearing too light?

flybynight
03-31-2010, 07:47 AM
We recently acquired a Canon c9065 with a ColorPass GX300 Fiery RIP. I've noticed on several jobs that small (10pt or less) text set to a screened color (anything but solid) comes out WAY too light. I can "fix" the issue by outlining the type. I can create a test job with one line of text set to a light color - 60% black for example, or a light blue works too - and the same line, except outlined. In Acrobat and Pitstop, they look and measure the same value. But, through the Fiery RIP, the "text" comes out looking lighter and thinner than the outlined type.
I brought the file down to our local Canon Business Solutions for one of their demos and showed it to the EFI rep. They printed it out on an ImagePress c6000VP. Not as dramatic of a difference, but still there. On their Fiery RIP, they have an option that we don't to view the ripped file and see the CMYK measurements. The text was actually measuring lighter than the object version. The EFI rep was stumped, but I'm pretty sure that proves that it is a RIP issue.
Anyone else seen this issue and know of a fix, or a better work-around than outlining all of our type?

Karl_T
05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Hello flybynight,

Thank you for your post.

Can you please provide details on the driver settings you have used?

Also, could you please provide the configuration information about your GX300(a scan of the configuration pages)?

Many Thanks,

Karl

flybynight
05-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Karl,
Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think this thread died on the vine...
We have tried just about every combination of driver settings that we could think of: 600 and 1200 dpi, various screening options, advanced and gradation smoothing on and off, prioritize color or resolution... pretty much everything in the Color and Image tabs of the driver or CWS settings. The only thing that seems to make a real difference are Density Fine Adjustment and Brightness - but of course, that effects the rest of the page(s) in a way that may not be desired.
Where do I get the configuration page(s) that you are referring to? Is that something I can see from CWS, or print out from the machine itself?
Do you have a similar setup (GX300 and a Canon c9065) available? I could email you a test file, or you can make one yourself - just make a page in Illustrator or InDesign with some small (seems to occur around 9pt and smaller, or with a fine/thin font) type. Try some various colors, but gray (like 50% black) seems to really show off the problem. Duplicate the text block and convert one of them to outlines. When you print, the outlined version will look how it is supposed to and the text version will be very faint.

Karl_T
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi Flybynight,

If you could reply to this post and attach a sample, I can certainly check it for you.

The configuration page is available under the "Print Pages" function at the control panel or "File" > "Print" > "Server Configuration" in CWS 5

Also - Can you tell me which version of Acrobat you have and whether it is Standard or Professional?

Many Thanks,

Karl

manyfaces
05-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I've noticed something similar where text and vector objects print differently even though they're the same color in the document. In my case, it's darker colors where the issue occurs. Same idea though, text ends up printing lighter than the vector object.

I've found that the toner reduction checkbox occasionally has an effect here. This leads me to suspect that Fiery is doing something to keep text from blasting. Dark colors (lots of toner) and small text (fine details) seem like the most-likely areas worth protecting.

shmegenke
05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I think some of these engines have object-based toner reduction. If memory serves correctly, this is adjusted under "Color Graphics/Line Control" but I believe the value for text is always different from the other object types.

I think that setting the "Toner Saving" funtion to "Off" helps with this scenario.

NambiarA
10-03-2010, 03:54 AM
I too am facing exactly the same issue.The only way to reduce the screening lines on the light printed colour which is developed in Adobe Illustarator using single colour is to select pattern1 in printer halftone.
Toner reduction is off .
One more problem faced is letters printed on coloured patch appear very light .
The printers are unhappy as the file gets printed fine on an ordinary PS colour machine with out a fiery controller.
As suggested earlier i also tried with VP7000 the same file and the problem appers even on the AS2100 but slightly better than 9000 which i attribute to the print engine.
Looking forward for some information on the same.
regards