PDA

View Full Version : DC 700 with Fiery 1.5 - which patches

ED1_Press
03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello All

We just upgraded to 1.5 on our DC700. We are using CWS5 from a Mac. Where can we get a list of the patches we should install, and installation order. There is nothing suggested on the 'drivers and downloads' page on Xerox.com

If I look at the updates from the Fiery page (found at my engines IP address), there are dozens of patches listed. I know from Prior experience not to install all of them.

Thanks

Ben Z

Craig M
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
If you're talking about which patches to load on your Fiery....Load all that are available through auto updates.

ED1_Press
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Craig,

We have never (on any of our 3 machines) had auto update actually work. It has always been a manual task using the list found at the 'check updates' screen and CWS5. Any ideas why the auto update fails? It is active - someone here thought it was a proxy issue.

If there is a setup guide available - I would love it. We have cable modem.

Thanks

Ben Z

thistlegorm
03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Ben,
Have you got a screen & keyboard/mouse connected to the EX700 (FACI Kit) ?
If you have, minmize CWS & open IE7 on the Fiery - can you open google ?
Assuming you cannot, in IE7 > Internet Options > Connections >LAN settings are any of the tickboxes checked ? if they are try unchecking & re opening IE7.
Also is the DNS set correctly ? if you can "see" the web your Update will start working.

Cheers

Kev

ED1_Press
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
thistlegorm,

We do not have the kit you are mentioning. We have access to the Fiery via the web interface at the IP for the machine, and via the touch screen on the engine itself. I dont believe auto update is running as I can see a long list of patched not installed via the web interface.

Ben Z

thistlegorm
04-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi Ben,
OK probably the easiest way to approach this is to find yourself a USB keyboard & mouse + a vga monitor. Power down the Fiery, connect all of the above & reboot.. If this isn't possible you will need to remote desktop in. I'll make a few assumptions here, you have a PC ? if not you'll need PC for MAC.

The Remote desktop is found in Start=>Programs => Accessorries = Communications. If it isn't there try Start => Run then enter mstsc /v: IP address of Fiery, when it logs in you will see the Standard Windows login Splash Screen, log on as Administrator & Fiery.1

You should now see the standard CWS 4.6.34 (guessing here) CWS 5.1 isn't shipped with EX 700. To make things easier I normally right click on the Start Button => properties & use the "classic" windows screen as this will put the Network Connections directly on the Desktop => Right Click & Properties check your DNS settings for your setup. With everything OK you should be able to connect via IE7 to google. Assuming this all works - now your Auto Updates should Work.

Goto Start => Programs => Fiery => Auto update => Check for updates give it a few minutes then make sure the All Microsoft Updates are Checked & download. The OS patches are OK, you can download these all in one hit & then reboot. After the reboot once CWS has come ready i.e the Command Bar (the blue strip across the top) says processing idle, you can now repeat the above process to down load the System patches. You will find that the vast majority of these patches are "exclusive" which means a reboot is required after each download. Now this is the important bit & also the bit which can require the server to be completely reloaded, after each patch downloads you will see the file briefly appear in the Fiery Queue & then disappear it will then say you need to reboot, before you do wait at least a minute, then reboot. When the Fiery comes back online you will probably see in the Command Bar "Exited". At this point most customers will reboot the Fiery & it will either never come back up again or when you check the config sheet to make sure the patch has taken it does not show - do not reboot!!

Do ctrl + alt + del & Task Manager => Processes if you monitor the Fiery Processes you will see "efi**" processes that are working in the back ground - whilst these are doing their thing - it can look to all intents & purposes as though the Server isn't doing anything - that's why it is helpful to have the Task Manager processes open so at least you can see something happening.

On some of the patches the "Exited" will appear after a reboot - this is normal, if you wait the Fiery should start to load again.

There is one particular patch that is 247Mb (fixes the landscape orientation in the print driver) this one can take up to six minutes to load correctly. Once you have successfully completed all of the patches you will then need to download the latest print driver from your newly updated Fiery ( Downloads Tab) onto you individual Workstations.

Also Fiery update isn't smart enough to know which country the Fiery is installed in & so there will be certain patches that you wont need to download - ( the 147Mb Nordic one springs to mind, simply uncheck the download ).

As a time scale to fully reload from scratch & patch & clone will take approx 3.5 to 4 hours. Remember patience is the key...

Best of luck, let me know how you get on..

Cheers

Kev