PDA

View Full Version : DC252: monochrome pages count as color

oxident
11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi!

I'm having serious problems with my DC252 (bustled controller) counting b/w pages as color :mad:

When printing mixed documents (color and b/w pages) out of Acrobat, the printer counts almost every page as a color sheet although those pages don't contain any color!

There are no images on the pages and the text colors are defined as %K only (no other plates are used).

I've already tried some different color management settings in Acrobat but without luck.

Any ideas?

k_graham
12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi!

I'm having serious problems with my DC252 (bustled controller) counting b/w pages as color :mad:

When printing mixed documents (color and b/w pages) out of Acrobat, the printer counts almost every page as a color sheet although those pages don't contain any color!

There are no images on the pages and the text colors are defined as %K only (no other plates are used).

I've already tried some different color management settings in Acrobat but without luck.

Any ideas?

Color or Black Clicks charge & conversions

Converting Color to Black, Entire Document
Greyscale can be selected under Colorwise on the Fiery in Command WorkStation.

There may be issues with some printer drivers

Due to running a new computer with Windows 7, with 12 Gigs of RAM we thought to use a 64 bit driver, but the graphical interface was missing on the 240 driver so we tried

Fiery EX260 Color Server PS driver - nice interface but appears not to output Color and Black correctly to a 240 - all output as Color. In addition it doesn't size pdf to margins if using Adobe Reader and it also caused some incorrect printing of a Microsoft Publisher background - it is the wrong driver for a 240 and 250 - may be flawed for 242 and 252 as well?

64 bit Fiery EXP250 PS v1.1 - terrible interface - Probably works (no ability to save preferences for jobs) use as a last resort by installing as a different printer.

32 bit Fiery EXP250 PS v1.1 - a reasonable interface but requires 32 bit system. Seems to properly count color and black. Unfortunately is not useable on a 64 bit operating system.

How to tell how many color and black clicks to a Job (other than using meters on copier before and after run)
In Command Work Station look under Job Log, click or right click to side of current column headings and add
Total Number of Color copies printed
Total Number of Black and White copies printed.
Many other possibilities such as Duplex are in the lists - add items to the width of your monitor if desired.

Now you can print a sample document and ensure you are getting required clicks by checking the logs.

Having Color Copier do a better job of converting RGB black like Microsoft Documents to K Black only for cheaper clicks

For Xerox add output profile like 100 GCR v2F or
On Doc 12 was HiGCR and MaxPPMK

Select Full Output instead of Full Source so as to make use of the above profile

These output profiles were to try and catch RGB black and ouput as black - they don't always work so you still need to run a test and check the log.
Alternative - convert in Pitstop Professional - I've heard it may also be possible to specify specific pages as Greyscale in Adobe 9 and resave file - but I don't have Adobe 9 yet to confirm.

Make sure Crop Marks are NOT turned on unless job is set to Grey Scale. Crop marks printe at 100% CMYK and I think count even if off sheet !!.
It might be beneficial if they only printed color on sheets with additional color and black only on sheets with no color, but I don't think thats how it works,

Correct me if I am wrong. What do you think.

Ken

Smego
12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
This is an age old eFI issue, it is all due to the way the fiery processes the CMYK and RGB inputs to CIELAB before outputting to CMYK again, the thresholds for each output device are normally changed in the devices' engineer codes, (I could tell you if it was a Toshiba) so you need to talk to your eFI tech support person. once you have set these correctly you may need to change the eFI colour map routing for the black channels and also the rendering settings.

Good Luck.

Gary,
EX Toshiba Colour Spe******t.