PDA

View Full Version : Black & White Images Print in Color

ksulliv1
09-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi, I am having trouble getting our Fierys to interperet black images as black only. These PDFs created from Quark 6.5 with a black and white image included. When I look at it on screen there are no colors showing, when I select the image with Pit Stop Pro, the inspector shows it as 1 spot color (monotone), spot color name = Black. When I print or import it to our ImagePress Server A3000 in CWS 4.5 or 5 either one, the image prints using all four colors. Our color setup setting have Black set as Pure Black on with black overprint set to Text/Graphics, but I have tried it with this set to Normal also. I can't seem to get this figured out, and I want to provide the correct output style for saving to PDF from Quark and have it work correctly. Can someone please advise if I can get these file to print correctly. And tell me what PDF Export Options (ie color output) would cause this or fix this?

Thanks

Brian_S
09-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Hello,

This is a problematic definition which seems to happen with several page layout applications including Quark and InDesign. In the PDF creation process the black data is defined as a "Spot" or DeviceN colorspace. We handle this as any other spot color and attempt to separate accurately. With that, are you able to access the Spot ON utility from ColorWise ProTools? The reason I ask is I'm not sure if your product supports it. If it does, try defining the Spot Color "Black" with K only data. This will allow the Fiery to separate only to the black plate and not use the alternate data.

Hopefully this helps you out.
take care!

ksulliv1
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Well I have already tried this step within Spot On, but I am not sure exactly how to make it work correctly. It was explained to me by our color analyst from Ikon that when a spot color is found in a file, and it is not specified as coated or uncoated or something like that (in our case just "Black") that the Fiery starts at the top of the list of colors in the library and works down, when it comes to the first instance of that color, it applies that definition. So if the user (me) creates a new color way up at the top of the library list, and names it "Black", and applies the 100% K setting, then that is what the Fiery will use for evey instance of the spot color "Black". But i know there are many instances throughout the whole library for the color "Black" with various values assigned, so I am never sure how to get the system to use the one set for 100% K. Am I explaining this right, do you get what I am asking?

ksulliv1
09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok I now know why this doesn't work. It has just been explained to me by someone at Fiery, that the Spot On tool will ONLY effect vector based items. So because this is an image, even though it is set as a spot color, the RIP is not able to effect any changes I make on it.

Brian_S
09-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Have you played around with the Post Flight feature? If enabled, the job will be color coated representing the color spaces as the Fiery sees them. In addition, the spot colors defined in the job will be listed at the end of the report. Give this a try and make sure that your image is indeed defined as a "Spot Black". Also compare the spot color name in the job with the name in Spot ON. The image SHOULD be honored if the spot color name matches the one in the Spot ON list exactly.

I believe there is some confusion in your workflow because of the "Pure Black Text/Graphics" feature. This is only for object types Text and Graphics which are defined as 100%.

ksulliv1
09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
So are you saying that even though the image is NOT a vector based object, that the Fiery will honor the spot color setting for it? Because that was not what I was told on the phone by a supposed lifer at EFI.

Brian_S
09-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Please try using the Post Flight function and see what you get. Then we can take it from there. Thanks.

ksulliv1
09-22-2009, 02:07 PM
The post flight shows the spot color as Black along with two other colors being used elsewhere in the file, but it appears that once ripped the Fiery is converting the image to CMYK, because it is printing in cyan for the postflight. So my guess is that this PDF must have been creating using the DeviceN selection in the output color settings and our Fiery is doing the conversion to CMYK as it's solution for a DeviceN color on a printer that isn't multi-component capable.

Brian_S
09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
OK. The image is seen as CMYK, not being converted. Please try setting the option "Print Gray Using Black Only" to Text/Graphics/Images for the CMYK print path in Expert Color Settings and try again.

ksulliv1
09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
That was one of the first things I did, but it made no difference.

Thanks