PDA

View Full Version : Can't print "Grey" RGB images out of Acrobat

oxident
09-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Hi!

I'm trying to print a PDF file which contains several grey images (unfortunately they are in DeviceRGB colorspace) on my DocuColor DC252 with builtin Fiery.

My color workflow is as following:

- Monitor calibrated to match sRGB as close as possible
- Acrobat 9, using default color management settings for Europe (sRGB, Euroscale Coated) and printing "unchanged" (without color-management)
- Fiery's default color settings (Fiery RGB v5, ISO Coated)

The problem is, when I print this file, the grey images come out very "greenish". Far away from being neutral grey.
I've already tried to alter some of the color management options (e.g. let Acrobat manage the colors, setting sRGB as input profile on the printer, setting Fiery RGB v5 as workspace color in Acrobat) but the output stays greenish with slight variations.

But when I import the PDF file using CWS and print it directly using exactly the same options as set in the driver when printing the file, the colors are absolutely okay!

That shows me that there might be some "inconsistencies" between Acrobat and the Postscript-driver ... but I'm unable to figure out where the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas?

gipsi
09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi, are you try to set IsoCoated in CMYK color space on Acrobat ?
And the same RGB color space on acrobat and Efi Rip..
I don't remember if during the raster process in the same print, the rip use RGB color flow for RGB object, and CMYK color flow for CMYK object..( i think yes).
Second: how are the RGB color space on pdf file ? sRgb, AdobeRGB 1998, etc..??

Splitcane
09-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Have you tried to calibrate your controller eg. with a ES-1000 ore at X-rite? That often cures wierd gray output on fierys.

/Thomas

oxident
09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi!

Yes, I've calibrated the Fiery using an X-Rite DTP32 and also tried an DTP41... without success. Grey is still not balanced enough.

Brian_S
09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Hello,

Are you using Acrobat Standard or Pro?

oxident
09-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro using the default settings on Windows XP.

Brian_S
09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Hello again,

If you check your preferences, under Convert from PDF, are you sending Postscript Level 3?

Also, under Color Management -> Color Handling select: Same As Source (No Color Management) either as a Device Independent selection or for your specific Printer Description File. Without this setting, a Color Space Array (CSA) will be defined in the PS Stream and your settings on the Fiery will not be honored for RGB unless RGB Source NONE is selected. Thus the difference when printing via driver and simply uploading the PDF directly.

oxident
09-29-2009, 11:36 PM
If you check your preferences, under Convert from PDF, are you sending Postscript Level 3?
On this preferences page, Acrobat lists different export formats. I think those settings are only relevant when exporting PDF files to other formats like EPS or JPG.

But if you meant the "Postscript-Settings" panel on the extended printsettings page, then yes, it's set to Level 3.

Also, under Color Management -> Color Handling select: Same As Source (No Color Management) either as a Device Independent selection or for your specific Printer Description File. Without this setting, a Color Space Array (CSA) will be defined in the PS Stream and your settings on the Fiery will not be honored for RGB unless RGB Source NONE is selected. Thus the difference when printing via driver and simply uploading the PDF directly.

Yes, that's my default setting (and by the way the only setting which doesn't produce extremely greenish grey values in CMYK images).

In Acrobat color management settings, I have noticed that RGB images look really good on my display when selecting the profile for my (calibrated) monitor. When selecting sRGB, the images also look "greenish" in Acrobat.

But whatever RGB-source I select in the Fiery options, the printout is far away from what I see on my monitor :(