PDA

View Full Version : Indesign effects+pdf+fiery

axelot
08-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Hello,
We got a Fiery Workstation 4&5 due to work with Xerox iGen3 and Xerox trueflow
We aren't able to solve this problem:
When we got a exported Pdf that contains some Illustrator, Photoshop or Indesign effects, like multiply, transparence, ecc… The Fiery server is unable to print the images correctly.

We got our print with a box around the picture that carry the effect.
We tried any kind of settings but we are unable to solve this problem.

We got this problem only on Fiery, if we try to print due to our Ctp, Plotters, other digitals, smart printer ecc… we don't have any kind of problem. Even if we bypass Fiery and print directly with the Xerox workflof.

Is this a know issue?
See ya!

ps. Sorry for my bad spelling, i'm Italian :rolleyes:

k_graham
08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately Fiery is at Postscript 3, you can set to Rasterize image within Adobe - this works for us - however it means a lot of data will be sent over the network, not too bad for a few pages.

It would be nice if Fiery sold an upgrade - good you have alternatives, something I will remember with the next product I purchase.

axelot
08-28-2009, 01:17 AM
So it means that is better using other kind of rip instead fiery, i wonder how come is possible in 2009 that a RIP won't be able to do sample and very usual things like this :confused:
Thnx for the answer, i will try to print in different way then without crash my head anymore on the fiery options
cya!

Gary_S
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Axelot,

Can you please provide additional information on what version your Fiery is at? We can then provide additional detail as to what ps level it is supporting.

Thank you,

Gary

Gary_S
09-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Axelot,

Just a reminder, if you could please provide us with some more details regarding the version of the Fiery software you are running, I can look into our side to ensure you are up to date.

Thank you,

Gary

solomonfire
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Axelot-

If you haven't already done so, in Colorwise under the Basic Settings, change your CMYK Profile to "none" instead of "ISO Coated" or whatever your standard profile is.

As I understand it, the transparencies are flattened in the RIP into generic CMYK, just within the area of the effect, while the areas around the transparency will be processed with the profile you have set (ISO Coated, etc.). Therefore, you wind up with a box around the transparency, and a poor result.

Let me know if this works for you. Good luck!;)

k_graham
09-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I think the RIP needs the Adobe Print Engine upgrade - I assumed that wasn't available as I don't know of EFI providing it on RIPs like my EXP250 on Doc 240 but maybe for IGen capable RIPs they do.

http://tinyurl.com/m79j3b

Also if sent via postscript driver http://tinyurl.com/8ayhsx

Gavin
09-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi Axelot

When I first started using a Fiery I too had this problem. When using the File... Export... option, the resulting PDF is not a true flattened file and because of this you need to print your file to pdf.

Select File... Print... then choose Adobe PDF as your printer. Make sure all your PDF settings are set for Hi Quality and Acrobat 4 compatibility. In the Print dialog make sure you check Simulate Overprint.

Worked for me, hope it works for you. :)

SharonH
09-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Hello,
It looks to me that there is an incorrect setting being used when printing the file.

To help our customers deal with trapping/overprinting etc. we have created some Demo Scripts that use the Altona Test file to explain how the Fiery deal with overprints etc.

I'd advise to look at the free downloadable demo scripts found on EFI.com, in particular the Fiery Altona Demo Script, on how to resolve such issues.

http://www.efi.com/support/production/fiery/production/how-to/FierySys8/

Sharon

michael_DPAS
04-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Axelot-

If you haven't already done so, in Colorwise under the Basic Settings, change your CMYK Profile to "none" instead of "ISO Coated" or whatever your standard profile is.

As I understand it, the transparencies are flattened in the RIP into generic CMYK, just within the area of the effect, while the areas around the transparency will be processed with the profile you have set (ISO Coated, etc.). Therefore, you wind up with a box around the transparency, and a poor result.

I'm having the same problem, and yes it does solve the problem sometimes but it throws out the colors...! anyway we shouldn't be looking for workarounds we should be offered straightforward solutions. These things aint exactly cheap!

michael_DPAS
04-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Hello,
It looks to me that there is an incorrect setting being used when printing the file.

To help our customers deal with trapping/overprinting etc. we have created some Demo Scripts that use the Altona Test file to explain how the Fiery deal with overprints etc.

I'd advise to look at the free downloadable demo scripts found on EFI.com, in particular the Fiery Altona Demo Script, on how to resolve such issues.

http://www.efi.com/support/production/fiery/production/how-to/FierySys8/

Sharon

Hi Sharon

hope nobody minds me crashing into this discussion, but I have experienced the same problems as mentioned above. I'm going to try the altona demo script see what good it does....

Quick question does the fiery support Adobe Print Engine? Wouldn't a lot of these problems be solved if it did...?

regards

Michael

Richard Falk
05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
(NOTE: My sub-title says "Junior Member", but I work in core engineering at EFI)

As noted in this press release (http://ir.efi.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=461700) on 4/21/10, EFI is shipping Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE) with the Xerox Color 800/1000 Presses (digital printers) and we are the first to do so with that printer. We intend to offer APPE to other printers and OEM partners on our servers in the future.

As for the problem of color stitching in PDF files with transparency, this should not happen if the color space of all objects involved in transparency is DeviceCMYK or DeviceGray. You should be able to enable Composite Overprinting and get proper CMYK and spot color overprinting including transparent regions in this case. If you still have a problem in this case, let us know as that would be a bug to fix (i.e. it shouldn't happen).

If, on the other hand, the transparent region contains any RGB or color managed color space including ICCBased ("tagged" or "calibrated" color) even for CMYK, then color stitching can occur during the transparency flattening since the profiles used to go to the blending color space have not historically been settable and do not match the profiles selected on the Fiery that are used in opaque regions. This problem occurs during the conversion of PDF to PS and can occur during a File-Print from a pre-press application or can occur in the Fiery RIP itself if it receives a PDF directly, say through a Hot Folder or Virtual Printer or Imported via CWS. As you noted, this problem will not occur with APPE because it explicitly uses the same color conversion routines (and profiles) for transparent areas (to prepare for blending) as it does for opaque areas.

We (along with Adobe) are working on a solution to this problem that does not require APPE, but until that is available you can use "Simulate Overprinting" in the application during File-Print or File-Save to a PDF. However, though this removes the color stitching issue, it has other limitations including converting spot colors to process CMYK and any RGB to press CMYK on any page containing transparency. The best way to avoid the problem (for now) is to avoid using any color space other than DeviceCMYK or DeviceGray in transparent regions.

Richard

sirspeedy0177
01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Hi Axelot

When I first started using a Fiery I too had this problem. When using the File... Export... option, the resulting PDF is not a true flattened file and because of this you need to print your file to pdf.

Select File... Print... then choose Adobe PDF as your printer. Make sure all your PDF settings are set for Hi Quality and Acrobat 4 compatibility. In the Print dialog make sure you check Simulate Overprint.

Worked for me, hope it works for you. :)

Are you talking about generating the original native files from Indesign to PDF?
Or exporting from Acrobat?
Thanks Bev

sirspeedy0177
01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
:d:d:d:d:d it worked! It worked! I have struggled with this for so long. Thank you!
axelot-

if you haven't already done so, in colorwise under the basic settings, change your cmyk profile to "none" instead of "iso coated" or whatever your standard profile is.

As i understand it, the transparencies are flattened in the rip into generic cmyk, just within the area of the effect, while the areas around the transparency will be processed with the profile you have set (iso coated, etc.). Therefore, you wind up with a box around the transparency, and a poor result.

Gavin
01-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Are you talking about generating the original native files from Indesign to PDF?
Or exporting from Acrobat?
Thanks Bev

Hi Bev

Yes, this option is for when printing to (creating) a PDF from within InDesign. I have found that there is more control over creating a flattened pdf this way than just using the export option. Once you have printed your pdf, you can set up a print style and save it for future use.

SteveL
02-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Workarounds are the only way to make them work unfortunately because layers are not PostScript.
The Fiery uses an Adobe CPSI and the layers in PDF's were an Adobe creation as well.
Printing the file to PostScript and then distilling it does produce a truly flat PDF, but the only control as to how it is flattened is the controls in your design program and in the design programs printer dialogue.