PDA

View Full Version : Magenta color cast

sleepyeyed
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
On my Konica Minolta C500 with a Fiery S300 50c-km I do a lot of color prints. One problem I seem to have is that when I print I notice the magenta is a bit high in the output. It will cause greys to look purple-ish. This makes no difference which program I print from. I use Adobe Indesign CS2 and Acrobat mostly. I've calibrated the fiery with the ColorCal method in the Calibrator in CWS and also calibrated my monitor with Colormunki Create. The prints still come out Magenta heavy. I thought of changing the output density through the color editor, but I'd have to change it for every paper profile, and I'm not sure if that would even work in the first place. Any help is appreciated

Marty

SharonH
08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Hello Marty,
There are a number of options you can try.

1. For more precise calibration, use the ES-1000 spectrophotometer. This will provide you a calibration based on spectral measurements rather than scanner based measurements.

2. If you have profile making software such as Color Profiler Suite you can create a new custom profile for your particular printer/paper stock.

3. If you don't have an ES-1000 or Profiling software then you can try the AutoGray feature which may help neutralize the grays and bring down the magenta.

For servers such as yours offering ColorCal you can launch the AutoGray procedure from the Color Editor dialog. Simply select an output profile and then choose AutoGray. AutoGray will automatically adjust the output curves of an output profile to gray balance a profile based on the scanner measurement of the AutoGray page.

4. When doing a calibration, look at the goals vs the targets. Perhaps Magenta is hitting the max density requirements while the CYK are not. If this is the case you will need a service call to request the technician raise the other toners to the targets.

Sharon

sleepyeyed
08-10-2009, 06:29 AM
so I used the AutoGray function and it worked well for me. The only thing is, do I need to do that for every output profile I have or is there a way to send the same information to the other profiles?

Marty

SharonH
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
You would need to perform graybalance for all of the output profiles you are having an issue with.

Sharon

sleepyeyed
08-12-2009, 06:05 AM
ok, the autogray calibration has worked, but now I have another peculiar problem. If I auto select the tray which the paper comes out I have no problem, but if I manually select it the print comes out as if I never calibrated. For instance, I printed a photo on 11 x 17 through auto select and then through the bypass tray. The auto selected one was perfect and the one from the bypass tray came out noticeably more magenta. I also manually selected tray 3, where auto select took the paper from, and I still got the same magenta heavy print. I'm really confused as to why the tray selection would cause a completely different print profile to be used.

Marty

SharonH
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Hello,
For the output profile do you have "Use Media Defined Profiles" turned on?
And if so, in Paper Catalog have you assigned the right profile to the particular paper?

This is possibly what you are seeing.

Sharon